• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear end sways over bumps

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I'm hoping you can help me track down the issue in my rear suspension.

I've done some searching and I've come up with an answer to the clunking issue... but nothing for the other problem, and I'm wondering if there is a connection (or rust where a connection should be).

Basically, whenever I go over a hard bump above about 20 mph, the back end kicks out the the right, and it feels like the axle is rotating clockwise as seen from above. Almost like an over-steer condition. For whatever reason, RailRoad tracks are worse than pot-holes or speed bumps.

Could worn out shocks cause this? I know the shocks are offset from the axle, with the DS going rear and the PS going front, and it seems to me that it would push the axle in this direction if they were not giving as much shock absorption as they should be. I'm not used to doing suspension work on pickups, and I know it differs a lot from RWD cars that I've worked on.

I know from following my wife home the other day that the axle tracks a little bit that way already, and I haven't found a cause for this.

I've already replaced the rear shackles and mounts, as they were rusted off. Everything else looks solid, but will be eventually replaced on General principles. Bed will eventually be off to do a fuel tank swap and some frame R&R.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Spring eye bushings solid? Any rust stains between leaf springs indicating a broken leaf?

My rear end hops and feels like a loss of control over bumps at 20MPH. Maybe you are just going over bumps too fast considering the lack of weight over the rear axle.

Having good quality shocks doesn't hurt.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's the nature of a truck....unloaded the spring rate is too stiff and the truck chatters/jumps sideways over rough roads. I've thought of using lighter rate springs and air bags to compensate when loaded, but haven't got there.

Richard

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Spring eye bushings solid?I'll check when she gets home Any rust stains between leaf springs indicating a broken leaf?None that I could see when I checked.

My rear end hops and feels like a loss of control over bumps at 20MPH. Maybe you are just going over bumps too fast considering the lack of weight over the rear axle.

Having good quality shocks doesn't hurt.
It's the nature of a truck....unloaded the spring rate is too stiff and the truck chatters/jumps sideways over rough roads. I've thought of using lighter rate springs and air bags to compensate when loaded, but haven't got there.

Richard
Seems like the lack of weight is an issue...

This may be a stupid question, if so, I apologize. Like I said, I'm used to dealing with Car suspensions...

Are Coilovers in the rear an option? is this just a stupid Idea altogether? Looking at it, I'd have to do some fabbing to get a top mount, but it seems to me that I could make it somewhat like my car's suspension, where the shocks go straight up to the unibody. How would that effect it for loading and balance though?

Thoughts?

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update: So I took a load of scrap out today, and with 200-225 lbs in the bed, the effects were mildly reduced.

I crawled under there, and the bushings at the front of the springs are pretty dry-rotted, and the bushing mounts are pretty rusted... I think this may be the source of the swaying and of the clunking... off to RockAuto I go!

As for the speed, it does this on the highway with the little bridge bumps.

Thanks for the input on this, guys.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my '97 does it as well. for some reason the po replaced the std springs with some heavy duty ones in the year before I bought it from him. it won't be bad this winter as I always have at least 250-300# of salt and floor dry over the rear axle. the rest of the year, it's just bumpy back there, although reducing the pressure in the back tires has helped some. I rarely carry more than 100# except in winter.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

about $250 from RockAuto later, it feels like a new truck.

Lesson learned: when all else fails, replace everything.

Also got this for my troubles:

Despite safety goggles and a faceshield, I still got metal in my eye. scratched cornea should heal in 3-4 days.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Lucky you get to keep your eye!

Last time I got something in my eye I blacked out from the amount of force the doctor used to dig it out using a pick. Lesson learned indeed.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lucky you get to keep your eye!

Last time I got something in my eye I blacked out from the amount of force the doctor used to dig it out using a pick. Lesson learned indeed.
me too! I didn't know there was novocaine eye drops until yesterday... if it weren't for the faceshield, I prolly would have lost both eyes with how much shit we stirred up!

Thats about 15 lbs worth of rust and former suspension components... ran through 15 cut-off wheels.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals