• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gear ratio for D35/8.8 with 2.9l V6

KJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm currently in the middle of swapping the front and rear ends on my 88 and am also thinking about throwing some new gears in as well. I'm thinking in the 4.10 to 4.56 range, but was hoping to get some feedback on how the pickup will drive with these gears. It has the 2.9 v6 and the 31 spline 8.8 with a D35 up front. I'll probably run 33 inch tires and am not looking for a rock crawler or anything like that, just not a high-geared, gutless SOB.

Also, I hear that some people prefer having either higher or lower gears up front vs. in the back (don't remember which is supposed to be lower). Is there any truth to this and what is the advantage of this setup?

Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I would go with 4.56 gears at the least. If 33 inch tires are your goal with the 2.9 be prepared for it to be gutless even with gears. My 4.0L OHVs with 4.56 were still gutless above 55mph with 33x10.5s.

Also the gear ratio front to rear needs to be the same as well as tire size being the same. When in 4wd front and rear is locked together and you cant have them rotating at different speeds because they will bind up and parts will fail rather quickly.

The only time you would see different ratios front to rear would be in say 4x4 tractors with smaller front wheels than the rear. The ration is different between the front and the rear to keep the rotational speeds of the shafts the same while working in 4x4 because of the difference in tire diameter. There really is no need for a pickup truck to have different ratios.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you want pep and a little more gear id go 4.88 with 33s, i think 4.56 would be closer to stock tho.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
^^

Agreed. 4.88:1 if you're running 33" tires (2.9L).
I run 5.13s w/35" tires (same equivalent) and it's about dead-on perfect, no problems merging/keeping up in traffic, gets decent mileage, etc.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would go with 4.56 gears at the least. If 33 inch tires are your goal with the 2.9 be prepared for it to be gutless even with My 4.0L OHVs with 4.56 were still gutless above 55mph with 33x10.5s.

Also the gear ratio front to rear needs to be the same as well as tire size being the same. When in 4wd front and rear is locked together and you cant have them rotating at different speeds because they will bind up and parts will fail rather quickly.

The only time you would see different ratios front to rear would be in say 4x4 tractors with smaller front wheels than the rear. The ration is different between the front and the rear to keep the rotational speeds of the shafts the same while working in 4x4 because of the difference in tire diameter. There really is no need for a pickup truck to have different ratios.
Some do run different gears front to rear, most mud trucks do to keep the front axle "pulling" the truck...that being said all of them are trailered to the bogs, make a few passes and trailered home. So while it is NOT a good idea for the op to run different gears, it is a fact that some trucks do and that may be where he heard that.

With all that being said I have a 2.9 with 4.10s and 33x12.5s and it isnt unbearable but if I didnt have the gears laying around I would've went with a 4.88.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I have a 92 with 2.9 and auto trans. With 31s and 4.10 gears it was a gutless wonder on the street and wouldn't hold overdrive on the highway. Was getting around 14 mpg. Now I have 33s and switched to 4.88 gears and it's a completely different truck, runs great on the highway and getting around 20 or so mpg loaded with all the camping gear.

KJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
What kind of rpms, speeds, and gears are you guys getting with various gears? Like 65mph in OD running 2500 rpm for example. Also, what advice do you have for purchasing and installing gears? Looks straightforward to install, but a bit technical.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those old motors, you want to keep your cruise below 3000rpm. Above that, your engine will stop reading the O2 sensor and be in open-loop, which means the computer will be fueling in a way that makes sure the motor doesn't go into a lean condition and burn the edges off of the exhaust valves.

But that is fine with these motors. What you want to do is arrange the gearing so that the motor is spinning near its torque peak at your cruise speed. The point of max torque is also the point where the engine is most efficient in these engines. That is 2600rpm with a 2.9 and 2400rpm with a 4.0. Gear the truck to hit those revs at your desired cruise speeds.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals