• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long Term '87 Ranger 4x4 Project Build Thread

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm impressed...looking really good!!

I'm no expert when it comes to the painting, but I've been doing a lot of research on it in prep for my 83.

I think as a general rule, shooting an epoxy primer/sealer is best for DTM (or any surface really), but there are some solid DTM non-epoxy primers out there. I plan on using Eastwood's polyester contour over metal, filler, and oem paint prepped w/ 120-grit paper. Following that with a 2-stage urethane.

Also: be sure to read the tech sheet on whichever paint you're using. Some (like the epoxys) are good for 5 or so days before you have to re-scuff and re-seal or primer; other paints, like the urethanes have very short recoat windows (less than 24 hours)...

add on: if i'm not mistaken (and i'm pretty sure i'm not), you should seal, then prime, then base, then clear.

Last edited:

jhammel85

Thanks! I appreciate the help. That definitely clears up a few things.

I'm noticing this morning that my thin coat of bondo is showing through the primer. I can see a few lines and definitely ridges. I cross sanded with 80 grit, then featheted with 180 and 320. I also used spot putty / glazing when i finished, sanded it with 180 and painted it.. I haven't wet sanded the panel yet but im not too confident in this. I might have to sand some more? Maybe even another coat to smooth it down?
Either way I guess i cant be too hard on myself about it. Its my first welding in panel and bondo work. The rollpan was very easy to do compared to this.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I have zero welding ability so I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work needed to smooth a panel out...and bondo isn't the easiest stuff to work with either...one of the reasons I picked eastwood's contour...supposedly very forgiving with a high build for blocking and shaping (but its pot life is only 30 minutes).

Are you planning to repaint entirely, or are you blending the panel into the existing paint?

jhammel85

Nope total repaint down the road. I think i need to find 2 part glazing. The stuff that turns bluish green and looks like cake icing. I just have to find it now, there's a lot of different things out there. The bondo coat is just too rough.

The welding part was easy.. Its blending the bondo in that's killing me.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
surprisingly, wearing rubber gloves (blue nitrile) acts kind of like an amplifier and should help you feel for imperfections or unevenness...worth a try...?

jhammel85

I've always wanted a ford stamped tailgate as opposed to the stainless panel. I know the letters are under there. The problem is the R has a dent. Its a pretty round dent from what I remember, no creases, so i hope to knock that out.

The welded fender is done, i just have some minor things to do.

Last edited:

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm inspired. My tailgate has a few dents in it and I was going to take the easy way out and buy new, but now I think I'll save some money by spending some effort.

jhammel85

Go for it! I'm hoping i can get mine out. If this doesn't work out then thats fine. It'll be a guinea pig for me to mess with. If it doesn't work out, ill continue down the path of finding a stamped tailgate in decent shape. Im just hoping to save a few bucks.

jhammel85

Bad night....

Started out well! Popped out the dent pretty easily

Then i found this..

So thats a bummer...I'll find a stamped gate soon and scrap this one. I dont think its worth all the welding and body work.

Last edited:

jhammel85

Well, theres one side. I need to do the bedrail as you can see. Im happy with it.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Very nice! Did you use glaze? If so where'd you buy...decided I'm going to cover my patching with glaze.

jhammel85

No glaze just lots and lots of sanding. I didn't need it after all.

Just the typical spot putty from 3m. Its not bad stuff at all.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh very cool. Looks great!

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nice truck. Looking forward to updates. Great color! Same as my B2 . Lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals