• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help....Don't know what to do or were to start

RangerJoe77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Guys,
I'm knew to this site and kinda new to fords.
I have a 94 ranger 4x4 4.0 A4LD auto.
I'm not sure were to start....I have read many posts and have looked up alot of info, which I think is confusing me.
When I shift into drive and apply the gas, the truck will buck until it shifts into 2nd. When i put it in reverse it feels like the brakes are locked up until I give it enough gas to snap out of it. When I take off after a stop, the truck seems to buck a few times and it kinda sounds like a grinding noise. I had someone look at it and they thought it was the rear because as i moved forward it would seem to buck the rear.
The other day I was driving and came to a stop. When I tried to accelerate it shuttered then went into gear. As I came to the next stop, the truck would not go over 15 mph and the rpms would just rev. At one point it wouldnt move at all, so I'm sure this wasn't good, but I slammed it into park and back into drive and it engaged but still wouldn't go above 15 mpg. Finally coasted to were I was going, by that time all it would do is rev the rpm's. I let it cool off for about 45 mins. Started it again and it went into gear. to be on safe side, I called tow truck. The driver literally drove my truck up on his flat bed like there wasn't anything wrong with it. when I got it home, looked underneath and noticed the cross member bolts were pretty wet with trans fluid. I was told to change filter and fluids which I havent done yet. Fluid is full but kinda dark and has a light bunt smell. I've read so many different things which could be wrong, I'm going crazy. beside the filter and fluid change, I read it could be shift solenoids, and lots of other things.
I'm about to be laid off and not looking to waste money.
I wanted to know if anyone else had problems like this. Should I do filter fluid change and solenoids. Buy another used trans, or if anyone else has an ideas would be great. Also there was no check engine light.
Thank you for your time.:icon_confused:

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like your transmission is gone. I know you can get it rebuilt for a decent price that's not too hard on the wallet. Best of luck

-gil-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals