• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump prolbems

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
got an 88 ranger with a 2.9 fi that was wrecked but ran. put a 89 front clip on it and now i have no power to my fuel pump. i checked for an inertia switch but it doesnt seem to have one. new fuel pump relay as well. just thought id ask u guys before i just wire the fuel pump to the battery with a switch:icon_thumby:

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Totally guessing but... A bad or missing Ground wire? An unplugged or broken wire/s? How about the lack of an inertia switch, are the 2 wires that plug in to the inertia switch at least spliced together? Are they even there? If it was running before the new front clip was put on then it sounds like maybe something was overlooked or forgotten. Take a look at the old front clip and see if something was left on it that might need to be put on the new front clip. You know those "EXTRA PARTS". :)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The computer's main ground is up on the radiator support. If you don't get that ground hooked up you don't get power for the fuel pumps. Make sure you connected the little wire on the batt - cable to the body.

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help guys......another no brainier for you guys does my truck have 2 fuel pumps

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
yet another question for u guys.........been doin some research tryin to figure out whats wrong with my truck and found this on justanswer.com

"Ok then I would have a hard look at the inertia switch and make sure the connector isnt burned, if it looks ok, then the 1988 had know issues with the PCM not grounding the fuel pump relay, when it dosnt start, run a ground wire to the fuel pump relay on the tan/green wire and see if the pump runs, if so you have a bad PCM.

can anyone validate any of this for me.........any help is greatly appreciated
:icon_thumby:

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Yes, there are two fuel pumps the inline fuel pump (high pressure) witch is mounted inside the drivers side frame rail, and there is another fuel pump (low pressure) mounted inside your gas tank
And as for checking for a bad ground from the PCM to the fuel pump relay, Yes. I have heard of it being checked that way but I have never had to do it myself. All you do is put a jumper wire on the battery neg- terminal and the other end on the tan/green wire and turn on the ign. If that turns the pump on then there is a ground issue for the fuel pump relay, and only one reason for that issue... The PCM!

Last edited:

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks man.........could i do this for a while as a temporary solution without hurting anything else on my truck?
:icon_thumby:

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
If you are using the jumper wire from batt. neg.(-) to the relays tan/green wire as a way to run the truck as you are diagnosing the real problem.. Then yes, sure you can do that without any worries. But I wouldn't want to try and leave my driveway with that band aid. :) If you have another means of transportation use it, You don't want to take the risk of an electrical problem spreading and making things worse for you. If you had to run to the parts store or REALLY need it for work or something then I might consider what you originally wrote and direct wire the pumps to the batt. and a toggle switch. Remember these are just MY "opinions" not solutions. :)

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks man........i droped the tank yesterday to make sure there the pump wasn't bad, it was still good.:icon_thumby: so i think im just gonna wire the fuel pumps straight to the battery with a switch. thanks for the help i might have a few more questions for you guys in the next couple days if i can get a few pics posted up about stuff on my truck
:headbang:

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"

Attachments

Last edited:

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
sorry it took so long to get back to you guys..............but another question for you guys there is 4 wires coming from the fuel pump in the tank, Orange,yellow/white, pink/black,grey/black. can any one tell me witch wires are my power wire and my ground? and im gonna put a in-line fuze in, what size should i use?

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
and something else....... there are 2 relays on the drivers side mounted together towards the front of the inner fender anyone know what they are

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
The pos+ wire on both pumps are the pink/black stripe, and the neg- ground wires are both solid black and come directly off the pumps. The other wires are for the fuel gauge and FP relay.
AS far as the 2 relays go I'm not sure, I looked in my truck and didn't see any relays on the drivers side inner fender. Do they look like there stock from ford(as in a colored plastic case and colored wires) or do they look like there a universal relay(black case and black, red, white, and green wires) If there universal you can probably follow the wires back to the source. Take a pic of the 2 relays and the wires.

Last edited:

epleyruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 fi
Transmission
Automatic
looked at them relays they have a ford logo on both of them. could they be for the cruse control? l lost power to my spark plugs, ive got power through my coil to my distributor but thats where i loose my spark.......any thoughts. will a distributor of an 89 2.9 work on it? also got my fuel pumps wired up and when i kick them on they come then the pump bogs down like they are suppose to. how can i check to make sure ive got good fuel pressure?...........thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals