• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FOUR U-Joints in 96 Ranger XLT??

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 Ranger XLT with extended cab and long bed. I was going to replace the U-Joints as it has 200k on the originals. I ordered 3 U-Joints for it because that is what it showed my truck used in the parts list. When I went underneath to replace them i found FOUR U-Joints! :icon_confused: There were two right at the center support bearing. I am enclosing a picture also. Has anyone ever heard of this? This is the first time I have ever run across double U-Joints at the center bearing.

Thanks

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I assume the photo is showing the rear half of the drive shaft, right behind the support bearing. That half of the shaft is what is called a double cardan shaft and yes, it does have an extra u-joint. There is also a funky spring-loaded ball joint in the middle of that thing. There are some good tech articles to teach about u-joints and how to replace them. Just follow the tab at the top of the page to get HERE.

Last edited:

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
THANKS very much ericbphoto!

I was NOT aware there was a ball in between the joints. You saved me from having to place ANOTHER order for this one part. The double cardan is actually in front of the center support bearing on the transmission side. :dunno: I only see a reference to this joint in 4WD Rangers NOT 2WD ones but I have one anyways. I guess that is what threw me off. It came from the factory this way as it has been in my family since new. I did measure the bearing caps and mine are 1.188" diameter. I guess having the long bed and extended cab caused them to add this for length. Don't know if a standard bed would have it or not with an extended cab.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I was NOT aware there was a ball in between the joints. You saved me from having to place ANOTHER order for this one part. The double cardan is actually in front of the center support bearing on the transmission side. :dunno: I only see a reference to this joint in 4WD Rangers NOT 2WD ones but I have one anyways. I guess that is what threw me off. It came from the factory this way as it has been in my family since new. I did measure the bearing caps and mine are 1.188" diameter. I guess having the long bed and extended cab caused them to add this for length. Don't know if a standard bed would have it or not with an extended cab.
I am pretty sure that Ford did not make a long bed extended cab truck... As far as I know, ALL extended cabs have the 6' short bed.

If you do have the 7' long bed, please post a picture of the truck, I would love to see it :)

AJ

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey AJ I just saw this post from years ago...

And you got me to check my bed length. it is 6 feet so all these years I thought I had a long bed were wrong. Oh well it still has a double cardan joint on it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals