• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing pushrods and rocker arms, anything else I should do?

EHeaney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The rattling has always been there but I pushed the truck pretty hard on a camping trip up the hill a few weeks ago and the clattering was so loud the engine was going to just disintegrate into pieces. I guess I can't put this off any longer. I'm hoping the new pushrods as well as all the new intake gaskets will fix my wavy idle. I'll probably swap the engine mounts too while it's in the garage. I considered new lifters but it sounds like they're not as big of a problem as the pushrods, and significantly more work to change.

Anything else worth swapping out while I'm pulling the top end off? I'm at 160k right now. I don't have as much time as I wish I did to wrench on the old girl so any time I get my elbows dirty I like to do as much as I can. I don't daily the truck anymore and it's basically just used for hauling as needed, so I'm not going crazy with the budget, but I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on something that's not broken yet, I mean I do plan on keeping the truck a while.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Inspect them 1st but the push rods and lifters are a very good and simple preventative move. They are a known high wear item on the 4.0 ohv.

To install these, I believe all you will need to do is remove the valve covers, the pull the rocker bosses. That should give you access to both components. May want to consider rocker arm spacers vs the stock rocker arm springs. Your valve train will love you for it!!!

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I would not replace the lifters if it was me; they are very expensive and in most cases the oem ford ones are working fine, and the Chinese ones that will go in as a replacement are gonna fail (I’ve had it happen on a rebuild and ended up putting the oem ones back in). I would carefully inspect the rocker shafts for significant wear. They will be shinier where the rocker has been riding but should not have any grooves. Also for gaskets get the mahle kit on rock auto, or at least their valve cover gaskets. They are far superior using a metal backing with rubber. Make sure to peen the valve cover bolt holes to prevent leakage. Other than that just do a tune up and you’ll be good. Use assembly lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals