• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil light came on then went off

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has been raining for about 24 hours. This morning when I started the truck the oil light was on/came on. I am not sure at what point i noticed the oil light was on. Truck had been running for a little bit. Truck seems to be running fine. I turned it off and then on etc. eventually the light went out. I changed the oil and filter M1FS 5w30 and MC filter. the filter that was on there was an MC. I have had the truck about 3 years and put about 16k on it. I change the oil every 3k. Engine had a busted timing chain guide when I bought it. I installed a 4.0 from a 2009 Ranger. Engine had 79k at the time. I'm guessing the first place to start is the oil pressure switch. Anyone know where its located? Rockauto has 2 MC switches. one is $4 the other $22.

All thoughts and ideas are encouraged. TIA.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you are on the right trail. I would have access to a good scan tool, so I would confirm a bad switch before replacing it, but even at $22.00, that's not to bad of a gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you are on the right trail. I would have access to a good scan tool, so I would confirm a bad switch before replacing it, but even at $22.00, that's not to bad of a gamble.

Thanks. I have a $30 scanner and I check for codes with that. there were no codes. I think Ill order the $22 sensor today and give that a go.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A scanner and some higher end code readers can actually read data, and good scan tools are bi directional meaning they can make sensors do stuff as well.

With those a tech can get a little more info without guessing. They can see if what the sensor is doing/reporting makes sense. Or if maybe your oil pump is failing

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A scanner and some higher end code readers can actually read data, and good scan tools are bi directional meaning they can make sensors do stuff as well.

With those a tech can get a little more info without guessing. They can see if what the sensor is doing/reporting makes sense. Or if maybe your oil pump is failing

One other thing The oil was a t the bottom of the hash-marks. I usually keep it just at the top of the hash-marks. It was a little unusual because in the 15k miles I drove so far I don't think I has had to add any oil. This time it seems to have been down a quart. Not sure if it is leaking.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Put a fresh piece of card board under your parking spot, and check your plugs to make sure it's not getting burned.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So just to make sure I read this right,

You started it up, the light came on at some point, so you shut it off. Then changes the oil. Is that right?

Has the light come on sense changing the oil?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So just to make sure I read this right,

You started it up, the light came on at some point, so you shut it off. Then changes the oil. Is that right?

Has the light come on sense changing the oil?

Sorry for the confusion. It was early this moring and I was not awake. It happen pretty quickly and it was the last thing I was expecting. I started it up and at some point I noticed the light was on. truck was running fine and was running for at least a minute. I shut it off when I noticed the light. I checked the oil and it was at the bottom hashmark. I drove the truck about a football field into my driveway(light was kind of on and off) I added a quart of oil. light came on for a second then went off. I came back about 5 hours later and started it up. light was off. I let the truck warm up and then change the oil. drove the truck and light was off. that was about and hour or 2 ago. I just started it again and drove a mile or so. Light was off, everything is running fine.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It would be worth it to put a gauge on it and make sure. A quart low should not cause the light to come one.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I can only get a real read on the dipstick when the engine cold or been sitting awhile

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This morning I started it up and ran it for a out 5 seconds and the Oil light stayed on. I shut it off and started it again, the Oil light stayed off. Truck runs fine at all times.

I'll get the new switch installed and go from there.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My Tech changed the switch yesterday and this morning the light stayed off. I'll keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks for the help!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The switch was definitly the issue. No issues since the new oil light switch was installed.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oil light back on. So today truck was idling and I was looking at my phone. When I looked up the oil light was on. Truck seemed to be running fine. I shut it down. I've started it up a couple times and the light is off. I Crawled around and took a few pictures. Oil is leaking around the filter. Filter seemed tight. Looks like oil from above the filter. I had a new oil pressure switch installed 15 months ago. I can't remember where it's located. I checked oil level and it's fine. I did notice that it used up a little oil in the last 6 months. It never used any before? All thoughts are appreciated

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got the truck back today and oil light was staying on at idle. If you raise idle at all the light goes off. Engine seems to run fine.

The Valve covers were leaking and I believe causing the oil leak in the pictures. I had the VC gaskets replaced. I inspected the oil pressure switch that was replaced a year ago. There appears to be oil leaking from inside the switch. I pulled off the connector and it was filled with oil. I cleaned it up and the light has not come back on. I ordered 2 new switches from Rockauto. One is a MC. I'll keep you posted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals