• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about towing long & heavy loads

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi folks,

I'm considering buying a boat next year and I'm wondering how much my Ranger can safely handle.

I don't know much about towing, but I've been doing research. By next year, I'll be proficient with a small trailer (jet ski trailer with two skis on it).

From the research I've done, my Ranger should be able to tow about 3500 lbs.

My question is this:

For towing safely, I know that weight and length matters. What I want to know is this:

If I have a 24' boat that weighs 500 pounds, can I tow that safely? (Yes, I know - 500 pounds is not going to happen - I'm just curious how it would handle or if it would be uncontrollable at freeway speeds of 70mph).

Also, if I have a 15' boat that weighs 3500lbs - how will that handle on the freeway at 70 mph?

My goal is to figure out what the maximum weight and LENGTH I can tow safely.

I really want a boat with a small cuddy cabin. Those are the long ones though and I don't know if my Ranger can safely tow it.

I encourage those with real-world towing knowledge on the matter to reply and let me know.

Thanks in advance!

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
length is the easy one: what ever you can handle easily, backing, turning, etc.
weight is more difficult as it also depends on how the weight is distributed and any towing challenges such as uphill/downhill, road surface conditions, etc. just make sure you get close to having that 10% or so combined trailer/boat weight on the hitch and have good brakes on the trailer.
if you have the bucks, i'd go for an aluminum boat as they are usually lighter than fiberglass. and same for the trailer it sits on. you'll get more (meaning bigger) boat for the weight. but just because you may be able to pull 3500# according to the books, doesn't mean that you should get something that big. there are cuddy cabins out there less than 20' long and 3500# for sure.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3500 is a good number to stick too. i have towed almot 5k with my ranger 4.0 4wd 5 spd. you should be able to tow a pretty decent size boat but you have to remember your going to add supplies to the boat plus the people in your truck and all that go into your factor too

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
really your biggest issue is frontal area. my 6x10 trailer has a capacity of 2,000 pounds and only weighs 1,000 empty but is 8' tall and even with a V-nose catches alot of air. most of the time i dont have but 200-400 pounds in it and at highway speeds im getting 10 mpg and the vaccum guage is in the toliet.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't forget the weight of that boat will be a dry weight and most boats hold quite a bit of fuel.

If it's long get a weight carrying hitch with anti-sway.

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
length is the easy one: what ever you can handle easily, backing, turning, etc.
weight is more difficult as it also depends on how the weight is distributed and any towing challenges such as uphill/downhill, road surface conditions, etc. just make sure you get close to having that 10% or so combined trailer/boat weight on the hitch and have good brakes on the trailer.
if you have the bucks, i'd go for an aluminum boat as they are usually lighter than fiberglass. and same for the trailer it sits on. you'll get more (meaning bigger) boat for the weight. but just because you may be able to pull 3500# according to the books, doesn't mean that you should get something that big. there are cuddy cabins out there less than 20' long and 3500# for sure.
Excellent reply, thank you.

Yeah, I certainly do NOT want to be pulling the max weight my truck can handle.

As for the boat, I think I've found what I want. Bayliner makes a small 16' boat with a cuddy cabin. I'm hoping to find one by next year. The weight on the 16' foot is "light" compared to some of the other ones I've been looking at.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it!

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget the weight of that boat will be a dry weight and most boats hold quite a bit of fuel.

If it's long get a weight carrying hitch with anti-sway.
Good advice, thank you.

Yeah, the dry weight is one thing. Gear and people are additional tonnage. I'm trying to keep it as light and safe as possible.

I plan on buying all the safest stuff for towing.

EnglishDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
16ft is small with a cuddy!

I have 17ft fish n ski that has a 3.0l I/O. It surprised me how heavy it actually was to tow. I have been pulling with my Murano but this year I will be using my Ranger.

My initial reaction to your post is the fact that you have 2wd! I purposely bought a 4wd because I am going to pull my boat. The pulling isn't the issue but the launching is. Most boat ramps are really slippery below the water line, and you will have your back axle very close if not on the water line when launching your boat. In your case this is your drive axle, if this slips and spins - you have nothing left to pull you up and out! Every boat ramp is a different angle and different trailers need to be further in the water to float the boat etc.
My advice from one boater to another - be very careful!!

EnglishDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
One other thing - when I was looking for a Ranger I looked at a 2wd but worried about this. My father had the idea to extend the hitch on the trailer so the back wheels on the truck would not be on the water line - just a thought!

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One other thing - when I was looking for a Ranger I looked at a 2wd but worried about this. My father had the idea to extend the hitch on the trailer so the back wheels on the truck would not be on the water line - just a thought!
This could be done, except (depending on how far it was extended) this could throw off the balance of the trailer...

ryathis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Put a hitch on the front bumper too for lauching/recoverig the boat! And it'd make maneuvering the boat a snap in tight quarters.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pickups don't like to go backwards up hills in 2wd.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals