• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Little Green Turd

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Undercoat job is 100% complete Radiator flushed and refilled too :icon_hornsup:

I used the good camera to get some shots of it finished:

There really isn't a lot of dripping after the oil goes on

While working on the coolant flush, I sprayed the front cross member with water. You can see in this photo and video the water beading (and my inability to use the video feature on the camera):

Done! :beer::beer::beer:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a new toy Friday afternoon. It was sitting out for sale in a driveway this afternoon while I was test driving Nikki's Grand Vitara after fixing the EGR valve. it was so cheap I immediately went to the ATM and went back and bought it:-X04

It is a Kellogg American 201TV compressor w/ a 1 HP 110/220V motor. I am guessing the tank is 60 gallon, possibly 80. I think it is a twin stage too :-jammin

Here is a comparison to my Craftsman 33 Gallon.

It looks like it is wired up for 110V. Hopefully I'll get to test it out this week :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Kellogg American 201TV Owner's Manual

So the local compressor shop mailed this to me the yesterday. Original document from 1973 showing the details of my compressor. It doesn't tell me the air output, but over the phone I was told it is 3.3 cfm @ 150 psi.

If anyone needs compressor info or part, I'd highly recommend Kruman Equipment Co. They have been extremely helpful :icon_thumby:

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Nice buy. I think I used them to rebuild my compressor pump too.

It has to be better than 3.3 CFM. That thing looks too large for that output.

BTW, the truck is looking good.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!

I thought the same thing, but their numbers are in CFM @ a pressure, not SCFM (turn your thinking cap on). I believe with the help of Maths, I could get a better number. But you also have to remember, this is a OLD compressor and a single stage. And that GIGANTIC motor is only 1 hp. Realistically, its not much different from my craftsman as far as HP and volume. They draw the same load. I would assume they put out similar amounts of air. The old one is just way better made lol. Kruman told me it should fill the tank in about 25 minutes if its working correctly.

The other advantage here is I now have a very nice solid tank. IF the compressor craps out, I will change the pump and or the motor. I was already looking at other pumps, but I think this one will be just fine for now. I can still get most rebuild parts if need be. :icon_thumby:

How's your projects coming along?

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Thanks!

I thought the same thing, but their numbers are in CFM @ a pressure, not SCFM (turn your thinking cap on). I believe with the help of Maths, I could get a better number. But you also have to remember, this is a OLD compressor and a single stage. And that GIGANTIC motor is only 1 hp. Realistically, its not much different from my craftsman as far as HP and volume. They draw the same load. I would assume they put out similar amounts of air. The old one is just way better made lol. Kruman told me it should fill the tank in about 25 minutes if its working correctly.

The other advantage here is I now have a very nice solid tank. IF the compressor craps out, I will change the pump and or the motor. I was already looking at other pumps, but I think this one will be just fine for now. I can still get most rebuild parts if need be. :icon_thumby:

How's your projects coming along?
Oh yeah. Duh...

Um, slow... Was in New Hampshire all month working. I will be in Connecticut for 2 weeks next month. Then back to Houston after that. Not sure when I will get time.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Are you getting fed up with the traveling yet?

Sent from my iPhone

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Are you getting fed up with the traveling yet?

Sent from my iPhone
Yes. I have begun to look for something else :icon_thumby: If I was single, it would be an awesome job. But that is not the case. For now, I am just enjoying the pay.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Yes. I have begun to look for something else :icon_thumby: If I was single, it would be an awesome job. But that is not the case. For now, I am just enjoying the pay.
I know what you mean. I've been lucky this year. I've only been out of town 3 weeks. But 2 years ago, I was out for almost 5 months. The money was nice, but there was no time to spend it. Plus you have a son and a wife. You'll find something better that will let you spend time with the really important people :icon_thumby:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Kellogg American 201TV Saga Continues...

So after getting some sunset photos of the F250, I set to work on the air compressor.

There are 4 wire terminals on the motor. These wires indicate the motor has 2 sets of windings. When wired for 220V, the windings are wired in series with ground connected to the motor frame and the 220V connected across the series windings. No neutral is needed.

Motor leads are arranged (2 and 4 were connected):
1_
_2
3_
_4

My motor was wired this way and I confirmed it by measuring resitance. I seperated all 4 wires and measured resistance again. Leads 1 and 4 are one winding and 2 and 3 are the other winding.

I connected leads 1 and 2 to 110V hot and 3 and 4 to neutral. Put it all together with wire nuts and connected the hot to a spare 20A breaker and the neutral and ground to the grounding bar in the breaker box. Flipped the breaker and it worked!!!!

After confirming that it worked, I ran new 12 gauge 2 conductor wire w/ ground to a 20A 2 way switch I mounted in a little box on the compressor (with grade 8 bolts and red loctite because its what I had lying around :icon_thumby:).

I then wired the compressor power cable to the switch. The I pulled the motor leads back apart and put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the OLD motor leads and warmed it up. The old insulation was in bad shape, so this was cheap insurance to prevent a short.

Then I broke out the soldering gun and soldered my motor connections and put wire nuts and electrical tape over them to ensure good connections.

Next I pulled the top off the compressor and cleaned the air filter and screen and re-oiled the foam element.

Then I turned on the breaker and the switch and let it air up. Here she is running:

At 150 psi, the compressor shut off as it should. I bled air off and at 115 psi the compressor kicked back on and pumped up to 150 again.

Once it was all warmed up, I drained the oil in it and replaced it with 12 oz of new Cambell Hausfield SAE 30 compressor oil. I ran it after the change to work the new oil in.

I am very pleased with the performance. The times agree with what the Kruman rep told me it should be. 25 minutes from 0 to 150 psi and 6 minutes from 115 to 150. I also discovered that the pressure switch is still set to its factory constraints, but both the shut off and turn on pressures are adjustable :icon_cheers:

Just a little bit of plumbing work left and put some new modern quick disconnects on it and it is good to use :icon_cheers:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
IACV Question

So last night I decided to remove my IACV and clean it because I was getting rough idle and inconsistent. The engine symptoms aren't gone, but they changed.

Do you need to reset the computer after cleaning or changing this valve?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
IACV replaced Saturday morning. Truck runs much better! No more idle issues.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to put these up.

Dirty IACV for reference:

The right is the old one cleaned up. It came clean but still wouldn't work right. The left is the new one. Notice that the internals are shiny...:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals