• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What kind of hitch do you use?

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just bought my 4th. Ranger, an 08 with 2.3, 5 spd manual.

I'm going to throw a hitch on it, leaning towards a class III bolt on type. I know it's only rated for 1500 lbs, which is fine...I'll never tow anything over that because I have an F250 for my heavier towing duties. I just want to throw a class III on it for peace of mind. My trailer would not be level if I were to use a ball on the bumper, it stick up to high so...it has to come down...thus, another reason for installing a hitch.

My question is, what kind of hitch did some of you throw on your trucks? I've got concerns about access to my spare tire (which is the cheesie compact). Also, the frame is (for the lack of a better term) kinda "bent" down around the spare tire area appearing to give it room to fit under there. I'm concerned that if I buy a class III hitch, the "bend" in the frame around the spare tire might interfere with a hitch bolting up correctly because it sticks down below the bottom of the frame.

Any input on this would be appreciated. I can take pics for reference is needed.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any class 3 hitch made for your truck. Try Drawtite or Reese website and look up your truck. They have the installation instructions in a PDF and you can see whether or not your spare tire can be retained in its current place.

A Ranger has a thick frame (3/16") compared to any other compact pickup that I've seen. It's certainly not the weak link in towing.

sniper141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have the Drawtite class IV and I have pulled some stuff that I shouldn't have been pulling and had no problem. I actually pulled a relative's skid steer before and I didn't even lose any MPG and it pulled with suprisingly great ease.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
mine is a drawtite 2" receiver-style hitch, came with the truck. i put the spare in the bed the day i brought it home. (plenty of pics on my cardomain page) even without a hitch its a pain to get to the spare when its underneath. i reguarly pull a 6x10 box trailer. the biggest concern with towing is stopping, over 1,000 pounds you'll want trailer brakes.

aridranger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i bought a used factory hitch from a 2000 ranger at my local salvage yard.the hitch i have goes around the spare tire but you can easily lower the tire (assuming your tire is held on by the cable lift)

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input guys. I bought a new Reese (model 37042 multi-fit) at Pep Boys for $119, with a $20 mail in rebate it will be $99. Whether or not I get the rebate money back remains to be seen, but still...it's not a bad price for a class III hitch. I'll never tow over the 1500 pound limit I have with my 4 banger, so...this will more than do for my needs. I'd considered a 2" receiver that bolts onto the bumper, but...I am the king of overkill and went with a frame mount.

On my previous 97 Ranger I'd installed a Valley hitch that allowed the top of the receiver to touch the very bottom of the bumper. The reese hangs down a few inches (3 or so). I was really surprised to see it that low, but...it's not a big deal, still plenty of clearance (about a foot).

Last edited:

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
A couple of notes on this install.

The box said that it will fit up to a 2006 Ranger, however...when I got home and researched this hitch online...some sources said it will fit an 07. So, I can tell you in fact that it does fit an 08. Guess they haven't updated the packaging to reflect that?

You only have to loosen the back bolt for the bumper bracket, only to remove the J clip, after it's gone...tighten it back up again. I checked out some install videos on you tube that brought up that detail.

I only plan to do light towing work with it. For example, a 500 lb motorcycle or 2 on a 5x8 trailer, a Jet Ski on occasion. I'll be well within my limits and this hitch will more than handle those duties.

aridranger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
you could have lowered the spare tire and then installed the hitch and then cranked the tire back up. i did and it made the install a heck of a lot easier.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I just grabbed a Rural King special.

Whatever brand they carry....
my boss has pulled annhydrous wagons with his 2000 Ranger, with the exact same hitch.

Frank

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use a round tube style hidden hitch. Direct boltup, allows use of the stock spare location, and the powdercoat holds up well too.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Checked today..... it was an acme, square tube.
It works with the spare on the 2000.
It's just riding in the back of my truck till I'm not pulling daylight to dark leave work drive to training class till ten pm.

Frank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals