• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can someone identify this trailer hitch?

MrShanks2U

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Bought this trailer hitch the other day. I don't know if this is possible, but could someone tell me who the manufacturer might be and what the weight capacities may be for it? Thanks in advance!

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It looks like it is for an Explorer or Bronco II...

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a class III which has a rating of 6000trailer 600tongue.

Class I Hidden Hitch
Class I hitches are weight carrying (WC) hitches rated up to 2000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 200 lbs. The use of a drawbar and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required. Some hitches in this class may attach to the vehicle bumper or trunk pan. Most other Class I hitches attach to the vehicle frame. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating.

Class II Hidden Hitch
Class II hitches are weight carrying (WC) hitches rated up to 3500 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 300 lbs. The use of a drawbar and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required. Class II hitches normally attach to the vehicle frame and or bumper. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating.

Class III Hidden Hitch
Class III hitches are weight carrying (WC) and also are weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications. Not all Class III hitches are rated to be both. The hitch specifications will alert you to a hitch that is not weight distributing. Class III hitches used as weight carrying is rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 600 lbs. Hitches that are used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs. The use of a ball mount and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required. To use the weight distribution side of the hitch a weight distribution system is required. Class III hitches attach to the vehicle frame only. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating.

Class IV Hidden Hitch
Class IV hitches is very similar to Class III hitches except for the weight ratings. Class IV hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications. Not all Class IV hitches are rated to be both. The hitch specifications will alert you to a hitch that is not weight distributing. Class IV hitches used as weight carrying is rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs. Hitches that are used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1400 lbs. The use of a ball mount and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required for weight carrying. To use the weight distribution side of the hitch a weight distribution system is required. Class IV hitches attach to the vehicle frame only. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating.

Class V Hidden Hitch
Class V hitches is very similar to Class III & IV hitches except for the weight ratings and that the hitch uses a 2-1/2" receiver. Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches. Class V hitches used as weight carrying is rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs. Hitches that are used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs. The use of a ball mount and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required. To use the weight distribution side of the hitch a weight distribution system is required. Class V hitches attach to the vehicle frame only. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating.

MrShanks2U

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I know about this hitch is that it will fit '98 and later rangers and '99 and later B-Series. I tried looking around online but could not find any hitch made by the major manufacturers that looked like this one. A guy that I work with has a '03 Ranger that has this exact same hitch on it. But he said that it came on the truck when he bought it 2 years ago. I'm starting to think that maybe this is a factory Ranger hitch. Do y'all think that this could be the case? What are the weight capacities on the factory Ranger hitches?

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking about laying some fresh paint on it. It looks like it has some overspray on it and there are also a few spots where it looks like it is starting to rust. I'm just going to clean it up with a scotch pad or light sandpaper and paint over it. What kind of paint do you think would work best? I was looking at rustoleum at AutoZone. You think that would hold up pretty well?

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The mounts on it look suprisingly like the FRONT bumper mounts on a Gen2 or Gen3 Ranger.

But the rear bumper on an Explorer mounts the same way.

AD

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
From the safety chain plates, welds and style, it looks like a Reese Hitch, very similar style of construction to the Reese I recently installed. It also does appear to be class III.

As to what it goes to I can't help. I don't think it goes to the rear of a GenIII Ranger though.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe the factory receiver hitches are made by either Valley hitch or Hidden hitch, the valley hitches have a rating of 1000/100 lower then the number I listed previously.

Is there any sort of part number or anything on it anywhere?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
after sanding the hitch, i'd recommend using POR-15 or something similar to protect it from future rust issues. you will need to topcoat/paint over the POR-15 so it won't degrade from UV light.

MrShanks2U

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
after sanding the hitch, i'd recommend using POR-15 or something similar to protect it from future rust issues. you will need to topcoat/paint over the POR-15 so it won't degrade from UV light.
Are there any retail chains that sell POR-15? The only place I've ever seen it is in my Essentials catalogs.

suzuki14258

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That looks alot like my hitch i got from ford.

MrShanks2U

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
What do the mounting bolts need to be torqued to?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are there any retail chains that sell POR-15? The only place I've ever seen it is in my Essentials catalogs.
got mine at a local auto parts store. most of them should carry it really. it is very popular in most areas of the country, even if it is rather spendy.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
That does NOT look like a Ranger hitch. I work at a dealership (RV) and I sell them all day long. That looks like a newer explorer hitch. It has too much drop to be a Ranger. I can tell you it is not a Reese, Draw-Tite, or Hidden Hitch if it fits a Ranger. I have a hitch for a 1983-2008 Ranger held for a customer behind the counter and it has a flat mounting flange about 6 inches across with two bolts per side, and a round hole cut out of each side to fit over a rivit in the frame rail.

Should be good for at least 5K, no matter the brand.

Just looked again, and those are definitely factory bolts being welded to the holder like that. No aftermarket manufacturers use those. They all just use grade 5 bolts.

Last edited:

JoesEdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The side mounts look like a Hidden Hitch, but the rest doesn't. I like it though. I wish I knew what brand it was so I can buy one just like it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals