• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clicking / Ticking noise...

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tick only happens with engine running, and only under 1,000rpm, idle

Clutch pedal pressure doesn't change the tick

What about when stopped, in 1st gear with clutch pedal down, at that time input shaft and clutch disc are at 0 RPM, so pilot bearing is being used since crank/flywheel is at 750rpm(idle)
What if you let out the clutch slowly so vehicle moves at idle speed?
When clutch is fully released pilot bearing is no longer being used, input shaft and crank/flywheel are at the same RPM
If ticking stops Pilot bearing is the issue

In neutral pilot bearing is not used, input shaft is at same RPM as engine, so should be no tick if its a pilot bearing issue

Not an exhaust leak
Have someone put their hand over tail pipe and see if tick changes

Check spark plug wires, spark arc is "tick" noise.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tick only happens at idle.

When at a stop, and in first gear I let out slowly on the clutch pedal, the tick goes away. The moment I push in the clutch pedal tick returns. The tick is at idle only, and could be in gear or neutral. Clutch pedal in or out the tick is there.

Does not do it when there is a cold start on the truck. Within 10-15 mins of driving you can hear it when your at a stop. How do I check for the spark arc?
Red: That reads like throwout bearing now, but..........could still be pilot bearing, because of torque on input shaft when letting out clutch in gear

Blue: tick goes away when pedal is out "in gear" according to statement in Red

Since pilot bearing is new that would be most suspected part.
But to do anything about it you have to pull trans back or out, so I would change pilot bearing and Slave/throwout bearing as well

Engine has higher idle RPMs when cold, and you said the tick goes away at higher RPMs so it would make sense for "no tick" until idle is lower after warm up

Spark arc, just make sure all spark plug wires are pushed down on the coil pack and at each spark plug, loose spark plug wire makes a tick noise as it jumps the gap.
But wouldn't be effected by clutch pedal, so not the issue because of statement in Red.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are correct the tick is not normal, silly statement from any mechanic, let alone a transmission mechanic.

I would guess input shaft tip got wore down from failed pilot bearing, so no longer a snug fit for new pilot bearing which is causing the tick when there is no stress/torque on the input shaft

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
... and not does not matter if clutch pedal is in or not. The same goes weather it's in gear or neutral.
This would seem to eliminate the pilot bearing or shaft as the culprit (a bad pilot should only make noise while clutch pedal is down (disengaged) and trans in gear).

i had a similar ticking on my 4.0L one time... Same situation, it happened at idle, didn't matter clutch in or out, trans in gear or neutral, same sound. The ticking would get louder for just a few seconds right as I began to accelerate in 1st gear, but would go away once past 10-15 mph or so. The ticking would also get louder if the truck was stopped on a steep incline (pointed uphill).

Turned out, the starter motor pinion gear was clattering against the spinning flywheel because the solenoid on the starter motor housing had loosened (the two screws that hold it), allowing the gear to slip back on it's shaft into the flywheel.

I don't know the differences between 3.0L and 4.0L starter motors, but maybe something to check for since it's not near as involved pulling just the starter (something you'd have to do anyway if pulling the trans), plus maybe you can get a gander thru the hole too and possibly spot something amiss without having to pull the trans.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can't really hear it that well very soft noise

Maybe small exhaust leak if what I am hearing is what you are hearing

Have someone put "Gloved" hand over tail pipe to see if sound changes

The rhythm seems like every 2 RPMs so similar to lifter or exhaust noise, doesn't sound fast enough for crank or flywheel(1 RPM)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah that isn't like the noise I had, I agree it does sound either cam-related (lifters, valvetrain, etc) or exhaust leak.

I'd listen from up above and see if you can nail it down to one side of the engine or other, and go from there.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. If the exhaust was removed for the trans maybe one of the bolts didn't get tightened enough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals