• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PA State Inspection

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol steering wheels were huge!
they could be used to steer boats they were so big lol
And every pickup (not a Ranger) I have driven without power steering steers like one of the ships on Pirates of the Caribbean too. Just keep spinning the wheel one way until it is time to start spinning it the other way.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Shut your truck off, turn the key on, and let it coast down a small hill to about 10mph or so, try turning the wheel, and then decide if its worth a "cleaner" look and 3 more hp.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Shut your truck off, turn the key on, and let it coast down a small hill to about 10mph or so, try turning the wheel, and then decide if its worth a "cleaner" look and 3 more hp.
I agree. Seems like its not worth losing something as convenient as power steering to clear engine bay space. I doubt you will see much hp gain. Maybe on paper but not while driving. Plus this is a ranger, not a 2000hp drag car where every hp counts. We have a pt cruiser that has bad power steering (no power steering at all due to bad rack assembly) and it is fine at high speeds but at low speeds it sucks. and this is a small car just about the same weight as a ranger so I wouldn't get rid of it if I had the option to keep it. But hey it is your truck and you do with it what you want. I am putting my two cents in and saying don't do it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Hacking your truck up is gonna make it real hard to sell later on but you seem to have convinced yourself that it's a good idea - so I say blaze ahead.

My old '94 Mazda B2300 had no power steering and it sucked ass to park.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hacking your truck up is gonna make it real hard to sell later on but you seem to have convinced yourself that it's a good idea - so I say blaze ahead.

My old '94 Mazda B2300 had no power steering and it sucked ass to park.
Some people cannot be convinced that their bad ideas should not be pursued, no matter what evidence is presented against it, because they use their feelings to make decisions, and not their brains.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some people cannot be convinced that their bad ideas should not be pursued, no matter what evidence is presented against it, because they use their feelings to make decisions, and not their brains.
HAHA I like that. feelings instead of brains. I still don't see the logic behind removing something as convenient as power steering. I agree that no one is going to want to buy it like that either.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
HAHA I like that. feelings instead of brains.
And in America we have a name for those people. Liberals.

I still don't see the logic behind removing something as convenient as power steering. I agree that no one is going to want to buy it like that either.
I can see the advantage in certain scenarios, like autocross or other "street" racing setups where sudden loss of power assist could be very bad. If it was a 97 or older I would have far fewer reservations, because the parts to do it right would exist.

The problem with swapping any year Ranger to manual steering is that the manual setup somehow managed to be more problematic than the powered ones.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had no power steering on my Dodge M770 5/4 ton surplus 4x4...even with the giant steering wheel and after learning to coordinate steering with throttle manipulation, parking lots sucked big giant raw pig feet.

Empty spots at the back of the parking lot, with a straight pull-through to the other side, or backing in became the norm.

About halfway through owning that truck, I bought a Ramcharger suv with power steering and a wheel about the size of the Ranger. No effort at all.

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Right, but you’re pushing hydraulic fluid that’s why it’s so hard to steer. You disconnect the power steering, remove the fluid and piston, and things are completely different. Only two things have left me stranded in my ranger in 20 years and 208k miles. One was the power steering.

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sell a 20yo rusted out ford ranger. If I took the power steering out and sold it on eBay I would get more than if I tried to sell the truck whole.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sell a 20yo rusted out ford ranger. If I took the power steering out and sold it on eBay I would get more than if I tried to sell the truck whole.
I sold a moderately rusty 1996 2wd truck with 250k on it for $1900 a couple years ago, a beat up 1998 4x4 extended cab for $2500, a nice 1994 Explorer for $1800 and an absolutely trashed 1992 Explorer for $700. A wild guess tells me that all of those were just slightly higher than the price of a used power steering pump. Should I give you more examples?

In any case, you're convinced, so like I said - blaze ahead.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals