• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rough idle/advance

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all

Having had an enforced and unwelcome break from playing with my truck, I'm now back on it.

It idles erratically. I have replaced the IAC, leaky fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and 02 sensor.

I disconnected the SPOUT, and set the timing to 10 degrees before. Interestingly (to me, at any rate), with the SPOUT disconnected, the timing mark held steady. However, when I re-connected the SPOUT, the surging recommenced, and the timing mark started jumping around.

I appreciate that the timing is supposed to advance when the computer is reconnected, but leaping around back and forth surely isn't?

Does this suggest that the TFI is therefore bad? Or does pulling the SPOUT kill the signal from all the other sensors, e.g. the TPS?

I think the temp sensor must be OK, as it idles approx. 1200 when cold, but drops to approx. 850 when warm (albeit with the annoying surge, which happens cold and warm).

Much obliged to you all.

p.s. I tested for a vacuum leak by disconnecting the lead from the IAC, and the engine instantly died - so presumably no air leaks

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Id say TFI or distributor.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, TFI, but I would also say computer maybe............

Distributor issue should happen even with SPOUT removed

TFI system is a self contain unit, Module, distributor and coil
TFI can do centrifugal spark advance, for changes in RPM, but can't do Vacuum advance, changes in throttle position and fuel mix.

Computer has TPS and fuel mix data so can do Vacuum advance, and thats what the SPOUT wire is for, just like in the old days when you disconnected vacuum advance to set base spark timing.

So either the computer is sending the wrong info to TFI or TFI is misinterpreting that info.
Try unplugging the TPS and see if surging stops.

Also try getting the codes, there may be some History trouble codes that will point to something.

You can open up the computer and have a look at the circuit board, there are 3 blue capacitors that can leak after 20+ years, that causes odd issues, under $5 to replace them.

Last edited:

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Many thanks for the replies. If it's not raining I'll have a play around tonight.

Related question - I had a look on RockAuto to see how much replacement computers are, in case that's what I need. They offer 2 for 2.9 manual trans (A-1 CARDONE 784412 and A-1 CARDONE 784795).

Their advice is to check the number on the one being replaced, to identify which is the correct replacement. However, the previous owner told me they replaced the computer, and given the way they've done other "repairs", I'm less than convinced they'll have fitted the right one.

Any idea on how I can check which I need?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go with the numbers on the computer you have.

For a 1990 the likely difference is MAF vs Speed/Density, so if you have the wrong one it may well not even run.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks to you good people, it's running again (with the clutch switch bypassed).

I disconnected the TPS, to see what effect it would have on the erratic idle - the truck cut out. Is that normal? I'm guessing it is.

Next is changing the TPS - can anyone tell me what size head are on the screws that hold it to the distributor? My 1/4 drive sockets are too fat to fit in the holes so I'll need to grind one down a bit, but would prefer to only butcher the one I need...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks to you good people, it's running again (with the clutch switch bypassed).

I disconnected the TPS, to see what effect it would have on the erratic idle - the truck cut out. Is that normal? I'm guessing it is.

Next is changing the TPS - can anyone tell me what size head are on the screws that hold it to the distributor? My 1/4 drive sockets are too fat to fit in the holes so I'll need to grind one down a bit, but would prefer to only butcher the one I need...
TFI module is on the distributor, and engine can not run with it unplugged, it is the spark system

TPS = Throttle position sensor
This is located on upper intake manifold, toward the front, it has a 3 wire connector
It is on the opposite side from the throttle cable linkage

Engine should run without TPS plugged in

IAC(idle air control) Valve is on upper intake as well near throttle plate, it has 2 wires and engine should stall when it is unplugged, or RPMs would go very very low

Last edited:

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant I am trying to change the TFI on the distributor.

Interesting that the truck should have kept running with the throttle position sensor unplugged - I'll give it another try later when the distributor is back in.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
The TFI uses a non-standard socket a 4.5mm I think. They sell a special tool to remove it that isn't too pricey.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks - like most things, it's not sold in the UK, but I have ordered a set of sockets that include half-sizes, so will hopefully get this brute back together shortly...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for that. If this new set doesn't work out, then I'll order one of those.

I wanna get stuck in and get this thing running right!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals