• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yep, Another V8 Swap Is Underway!

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
Update

Well, one of the heads is non-repairable and the block has a hairline crack! So much for all that work! :annoyed: So, since I am restoring the entire truck I am going to go with a new block. I am looking at the ATK High Performance Ford 331 Stroker short block and the BluePrint Engines Ford 5.0L 302 HO crate engine (basic Mustang replacement engine) both from Summit. The 331 is going to eat up a bunch of my budget ($4,000 with heads and cam) but if I go with the 302 I have to change the cam and that voids the warranty! I am currently leaning towards the 331 just because I can do whatever I want with the top end and more ponies of course! I am open to suggestions and would like to here what YOU would do.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Well, one of the heads is non-repairable and the block has a hairline crack! So much for all that work! :annoyed: So, since I am restoring the entire truck I am going to go with a new block. I am looking at the ATK High Performance Ford 331 Stroker short block and the BluePrint Engines Ford 5.0L 302 HO crate engine (basic Mustang replacement engine) both from Summit. The 331 is going to eat up a bunch of my budget ($4,000 with heads and cam) but if I go with the 302 I have to change the cam and that voids the warranty! I am currently leaning towards the 331 just because I can do whatever I want with the top end and more ponies of course! I am open to suggestions and would like to here what YOU would do.
If you are going to run the Explorer ECM with a 331 you will not only need a custom tune but will need to consider the crank balancer issue as well. Most 331's will require a 28 oz balancer and the Explorer uses a 50 oz balancer. Probably the best way around that issue is to contact Dampener Dudes and have them setup a stock 50 oz Explorer balancer for 28 oz. Seems like they charge about $150.00 for that work.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Seems the general consensus is to just go with the 302 HO block and swap out the cam. It's going to void the warranty but, oh well.:dunno:

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
So I am going with a company called MABBCO out of Tyler, TX. They are building me a custom 302 long block with high compression Hyperutectic pistons, Moly rings, Hardened connecting rod bolts, an EFI compatible cam (Duration: 270/288, Lift: .510/.520), Double Roller timing chain, all balanced and a set of assembled GT40 (not P) heads to match! With the Trick Flow intake and 75mm TB it should be 300+ HP! Can't wait to hear it fire up for the first time! I will definitely post a video. :icon_hornsup:

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Headers

So according to customer support at Advanced Adapters, their V8 conversion headers will work for me. Has anyone ever used them or know about them? They would be the 717044-HDR model.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Well here is the power plant! Front components out for powder coating and I'm cleaning up the engine bay. Once that's done and I replace the cab mounts I'll be ready to drop it in! Taking a long time but it's being done right!

prymetime1

Reaction score
Well here is the power plant! Front components out for powder coating and I'm cleaning up the engine bay. Once that's done and I replace the cab mounts I'll be ready to drop it in! Taking a long time but it's being done right!
Nice looking set up! Looking fwd to seeing this come together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Knight1977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to run the Explorer ECM with a 331 you will not only need a custom tune but will need to consider the crank balancer issue as well. Most 331's will require a 28 oz balancer and the Explorer uses a 50 oz balancer. Probably the best way around that issue is to contact Dampener Dudes and have them setup a stock 50 oz Explorer balancer for 28 oz. Seems like they charge about $150.00 for that work.

Do you have a link for Dampener Dudes? I’m in the process of doing a 347 swap and I’m using the explorer accessories. I need to go to a 28oz. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Do you have a link for Dampener Dudes? I’m in the process of doing a 347 swap and I’m using the explorer accessories. I need to go to a 28oz. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have a contact number for them any longer but it should be fairly easy to find online. That is where I found the number when I called them. I know a few people here who have had them do balances for them but I ended up staying with the stock stroke and using a OEM balancer.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here ya go.. Same dudes I'm using..800-413-2673
I also asked him about cnc'ing a new dampener so I can switch pullies for boost.. Haven't heard back from them yet.. He was checking with people he knows

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals