Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > 4-bangers > 4-Cylinder (2001 & Newer)

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
eric

eric is on a distinguished road
Default can ect sensor or bad t-stat cause engine to run rough?

2001 ford ranger 2.3 liter 5 speed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

My thermostat is bad (gauge does not work and no heat) and check engine light came so I had it scanned at autozone. Guy said bad ect sensor and that is causing my truck to run a bit rough (tough to accelerate ).
I also get poor gas mileage and I was told this is because of bad ect sensor. Can I get your opinion? Do you think ect going bad will cause engine to run rough?

Lastly, can you please walk me through the changing of thermostat and ect sensor? Do I have to drain antifreeze? I think t-stat is at bottom of engine block. Can I simply pull hose off , unscrew / bolt t-stat and put on new one while pointing hose up to avoid spilling? How do I locate ect sensor ? I cannot find it.

Someone told me my coil pack was bad ( plug #3 was not firing) I do not know what kind of diagnostic he did. I was changing my plugs a while back and ripped wire out of plug#3 rubber cap that goes over plug. I put wire back in rubber cap and it started fine. When I finally changed my wires , I noticed that plug #3 wire was frayed. I told mechanic guy wire may be bad but he may not have been listening. I spoke to a dealer service dept and he said coil packs usually do not go bad Your thoughts please

Engine has been running rough for a while and when changed plugs they were pretty well worn out.

thanks in advance
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018