• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring HID's

RunBaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i want to wire my HID's the proper way and was hoping you could point me in the right direction. i have 3 of the lights mounted on the front of my truck. i know i have to use relays but how many and what size fuses to use. here are the specs on the lights

35w HID 2.9 Amp Draw 350,000 Candle Power

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well i run 4 KC's all 100w with 2 relays ( lights per relay, they are the kit lights but I made some relays for my other truck just like they set it up...)

With 3 lights... boy thats an odd number lol... I would grab 2 relays one with 2 power out connectors and one with one power out connector, They should be 40 amp relays dependng on which ones you get but on average I think they are 40 amp so they can handle alot of power. Fuse wise you probably wanna go with a 10 amp the step up to 15 if they pop, I got 30's for my lights because I upgraded but they had 25's in before.

Then just rig the relays (I am assuming you know how) and your good to go..

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i want to wire my HID's the proper way and was hoping you could point me in the right direction. i have 3 of the lights mounted on the front of my truck. i know i have to use relays but how many and what size fuses to use. here are the specs on the lights

35w HID 2.9 Amp Draw 350,000 Candle Power
Your HID's are going to draw a little more than 2.9 Amp at startup, (HID's just do that) so I'd shoot for a 15 Amp fuse and see if that blows... If it does then try a 20 and you should be fine! You should also be fine using one 40 amp relay to power those three lights since you're only running three 35 watters!

Even if they drew double their stabilized Amperage on initial startup (say 6 Amps instead of 3) you'd still only be pushing 18 Amps which is still well within limits of the 40 Amp relay!

You just want them to come on with your high beam's yea? If you need help with that then let me know and I'll try to explain how to do it. Its pretty simple really, the trickiest part is finding out which wire is your high beam wire!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals