• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Headlight Suggestions

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
Right now I have plain H4 halogens in stock plastic housing, and they are really underwhelming with light output, even when I have high beams on. Often cars driving behind me have their lights throw more light than mine. I wanted to go HIDs, but having heard all the legalities and complications with them, I probably wont. What housings/bulbs can I buy to increase my light?

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
Come on guys...

I also have a problem with my high beams. I've been noticing that when I hold the high beams on, it looks different than when I switch them on. I turned them on tonight and heard a click, and the drivers side went dead. The low-beam still works, and when I hold them on, the passenger side high beam turns on, but the drivers side stays on low beam. Anyone know what the problem is?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if your housings are yellow or cloudy just getting new ones will really help with the output. as for bulbs, you dont want some super high power 100 watt crap that will burn up the harness. just stock wattage. I have Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs and after having them for awhile, I am done with Sylvania and will only be using Phillips Xtreme power.
http://store.candlepower.com/phxtpobuhe.html
As for the high beams looking different when you pull it toward you, when you do that it has both high and low beams. When you click them on it turns off the low beams and does just high beams.

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. How long do those bulbs last?
So the high beam filament is probably out on the drivers side?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im not real sure on how long they last but i have read a lot of reviews that say they have lasted longer than Sylvania SilverStars and stuff like that. And yeah the filament being out for driver side high beam would be my first guess.

STingray1300

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure what year vehicle you're working on, but if it's your '90, then you have square (rectangle) headlights. You are the envy of any newer truck wanting good lighting. Simply get a set of Cibie E-code headlights (or Hellas, but Cibies are better). They use H4 bulbs, and you can run 65/70 bulbs in them and really see very well.

Cibies and Bosch headlights are available here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

You can get ugraded bulbs here: http://store.candlepower.com/h4hb29003bulbs.html

Wish I could use them in my '06... :bawling:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Whoa Whoa Whoa! Those won't fit your truck, those are for the 1st gen style lights.

You want these,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXPLORER-91-94-DIAMOND-CLEAR-6PC-CORNERS-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQitemZ360224206753QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53df092fa1

I ran these in my old 89 B2, they were awesome. The difference in light is amazing and they look good as hell.

Put these in with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, almost, if not the same, as good as HID lighting.
Here they are in my old B2 w/ Silverstars, and LED markers and signals.

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
That's better, I looked and I need the full housing, and can't just replace the one lens. Plus that seller is in driving distance from me, so I can save $30 on shipping.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals