• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How Much PSI

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
i was wondering what is the max psi i can run on stock internals with my turbo because i wanna up the boost some. i have stock 2.3l 94 ranger. everything has been upgraded except internals but how much PSI can i safly run with stock internals. only post if u really know what your talking about. thanks.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
What kind of EFI are you running?

If it's the stock ranger set up, you're running on borrowed time. If you modified the MAF and have 19's, I'd still be scared of anything more than 5 psi. If you are running the turbo electronics and fuel injectors, I would guess you could run 8-10 PSI. Just be super careful and listen for detonation. The stock pistons simply will not withstand detonation while under boost. Anything over 10 I'd be too scared to try because if the A/F gets off even slightly, the pistons will be toast.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It depends on whether or not you will port the intake and heads. If you do that and the engine flows a greater CFM then you will max out at a slightly lower PSI. If you flow 300CFm your turbo could push 5PSI through the engine. However if you bump it up You will achieve greater power with Less boost. An engine that pushes 450CFM will claim the same Horsepower as the 300 but at 3.5 PSI. Its a basic desription but something to think about.

My personal recommendation is take the heads and intake to a good machine shop. Have them ported, portmatched, polished etc. (Dont over do it) Then when you put your turbo on the truck start with a lower PSI. But no matter what you should be able to push 4-5PSI safely. Anything more needs to be done step by step on a dyno tuning while increasing. Otherwise your subscribing to the big bang theory.

Also go find an '84-85 SVO Mustang motor, I dont know about the '94, but some years are a complete match for the crank and pistons.

Last edited:

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've run 5 psi on stock pistons for a long time without trouble. I still have good compression on this engine, too!

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
n/a internals dont go past 8 you got t/c internals be like me and do 20 :)

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well i know some guys with stock internals that run 10-12 with no problem... i plan on getting head gasket and connecting rods and boosting like 30+

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
just push 15psi then when everything blows you have an excuse to rebuild the bottom end. make sure and report back with what psi everything let go....lol

most everything i have ever seen is 6-7 psi on stock internals. certain engines get away with more some cant handle that.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
when you push 30 psi thru it post the youtube video of the head gasket blowing/head blowing up/piston through the oil pan, i wanna see destruction!!! honestly tho, even a supra twin turbo w/ thicker cylinder sleeves and forged internals cannot go above 22 psi w/o rebuilding it every 5 wide open throttle runs, i doubt seriously that a stock ford block could take that much psi. after completely rebuilding the internals and have everything setup for large boost i wouldnt go above 20 psi. stock internals i wouldnt go above 8 for durability, the 10-12 psi guys will be rebuilding real soon i can almost promise you that.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
The stock ford 2.3 turbo block is well proven to endure 20 psi for well over 200,000 miles and then it's usually the top end that finally throws in the towel. Currently, my 35 lb/hr injectors are pretty maxed out at 16-17 psi. My next step is a tuning setup and bigger injectors. Then I can join the 20 psi crowd.

With an upgraded bottom end, E85 and/or methanol injection, and a good tune, 30 psi is doable.

But on a ranger bottom end with cast pistons (rods and crank are the same a stock turbo motor) definately keep the boost low.

Last edited:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
why e85? it is thinner and contains less potential energy, you use twice the e85 to produce the same amount of power as gasoline, plus at the price its just not cost effective. i was reading thru a flex fuel vehicle owners manual and it clearly stated that you will have to go thru two tanks of e85 to get the same mileage as a single tank of gas to get the same mileage. methanol on the other hand is hardcore stuff, treat that w/ respect or youll be rebuilding an engine in a hurry. that and i doubt seriously he wants to spend 7 dollars a gallon to fill up cuz he cant just put regular gas in the trk after tuning it for methanol. if this is a daily driver or show vehicle id stick to regular gas as its readily available anywhere and is cheaper/more cost effective. if you are trailering it to the track and are running it for timeslips go w/ methanol, but i wouldnt even think about putting it on the street cuz youd be stuck at the house siphoning gas every time you got low. just something to consider and my .02

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
e85 is better. If you want to make big power on a pump available gas. I know of people putting down over 500hp running e85. And i seen a few volvo 5cyl over 1000hp on e85. Ive got 1000cc injectors in my car and ive got a ecm that i can map for e85.

Op. stock high cr motor i wouldn't go over 5psi. If its a svo engine you can run more. We are running 19psi in our bronco II but its got supporting mods
If you plan on gettin con rods then id suggest at least getting bigger exhaust valves and a cam too if you want to go for 20+ psi. you wont get to 30 psi till alot more things are upgraded cause you will break things

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
why e85? it is thinner and contains less potential energy, you use twice the e85 to produce the same amount of power as gasoline, plus at the price its just not cost effective. i was reading thru a flex fuel vehicle owners manual and it clearly stated that you will have to go thru two tanks of e85 to get the same mileage as a single tank of gas to get the same mileage. methanol on the other hand is hardcore stuff, treat that w/ respect or youll be rebuilding an engine in a hurry. that and i doubt seriously he wants to spend 7 dollars a gallon to fill up cuz he cant just put regular gas in the trk after tuning it for methanol. if this is a daily driver or show vehicle id stick to regular gas as its readily available anywhere and is cheaper/more cost effective. if you are trailering it to the track and are running it for timeslips go w/ methanol, but i wouldnt even think about putting it on the street cuz youd be stuck at the house siphoning gas every time you got low. just something to consider and my .02
e85 is an alcohol based fuel which burns different then gasoline. its can handle boost differently, higher c/rs, etc. the trade off is you burn more of it in a givin cycle to get that power. methanol injection is simply squirting winshing fluid or a alcohol/water mix into your intake to lower intake temps which equals less detonation in most cases. plus the water that is injected sorta steams pistons and valves for squeeky clean engines when yiou pull them apart..lol

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
E85 is some good crap. On my old shortblock I ran it at 27# and it ran like a raped ape. I went back to gas for better mileage, but I'm going back to e85 as soon as i get another turbo shortblock in. And I miss the smell ;)

edit: As far as it being a viable alternative fuel... Not a chance. Not the way it's set up in the US. But it's awesome as a cheap race gas.

Last edited:

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
when you push 30 psi thru it post the youtube video of the head gasket blowing/head blowing up/piston through the oil pan, i wanna see destruction!!! honestly tho, even a supra twin turbo w/ thicker cylinder sleeves and forged internals cannot go above 22 psi w/o rebuilding it every 5 wide open throttle runs, i doubt seriously that a stock ford block could take that much psi. after completely rebuilding the internals and have everything setup for large boost i wouldnt go above 20 psi. stock internals i wouldnt go above 8 for durability, the 10-12 psi guys will be rebuilding real soon i can almost promise you that.
lol, a supra twin turbo could go above 22, it would just blow hot and wouldnt be efficent and would probbly knock... hell mitsubishi's 2.0 turbo charged 4g63t engine stock is like 15 psi, i have friends that bought them cars stock on side mount innercoolers running 20 pounds not doing a thing to it besides poking a hole in the wastegate line because they were to poor to buy a 7 dollar boost controler, hell i got a video ill upload of me and my friend boosing one of those motors to 30 pounds before fuel cut lol.

when we had that motor a 2.0 it ran 30 psi lol
had the following mod list
aem fuel rail
1000cc injectors
aem tuned of course
t/3 t/4 70 trim
kaisenspeed exhaust manifold
cometic headgasket with studs
stock bore
3 inch exhaust
areomotive afpr
and brian crower 272 272 cams

new setup is a 2.3 stroker 288 288 cams gt40r magnus intake manifold and a few other toys, ill snap some pics next time i go up there.
for now this is about 4 months ago after the 2.3 stroker kit was put in and we were messing with the 5500 2 step launch shooting fireballs out

got some videos of us racing streetbikes also, gotta dig em up...
i gotta say the mitsubishi 4 cyl turbo motor and fords 2.3 turbo motor are possibly the best imo.

e85 is better. If you want to make big power on a pump available gas. I know of people putting down over 500hp running e85. And i seen a few volvo 5cyl over 1000hp on e85. Ive got 1000cc injectors in my car and ive got a ecm that i can map for e85.

Op. stock high cr motor i wouldn't go over 5psi. If its a svo engine you can run more. We are running 19psi in our bronco II but its got supporting mods
If you plan on gettin con rods then id suggest at least getting bigger exhaust valves and a cam too if you want to go for 20+ psi. you wont get to 30 psi till alot more things are upgraded cause you will break things

you need to get a video of your volvo running man i wanna hear that beast!!

Last edited:

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
E85 is some good crap. On my old shortblock I ran it at 27# and it ran like a raped ape. I went back to gas for better mileage, but I'm going back to e85 as soon as i get another turbo shortblock in. And I miss the smell ;)

edit: As far as it being a viable alternative fuel... Not a chance. Not the way it's set up in the US. But it's awesome as a cheap race gas.
yea i heard that e85 is some good crap, people down here with them 400+ horsepower 4 cyl cars say that when they throw that in there cars it really rips!!
id like to try it myself one day

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals