• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 ranger no start when warm

banana273

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
ford
Engine Size
x2 2.9 for ranger, 5.0 for bronco
Transmission
Manual
so i have had no avail to this truck its been one thing after another first the whole thing dies then after new eec it started running fine till the other day when i went to fill up and i go to start it and nothing. i get off work and go back to it and it starts fine but only when the motor is cold. now i replaced the thermostat and the thermostat sensor thinking that might be the issue but to no luck!!!!

p.s. when it isnt starting it the fuel pump doesnt start and it gives me a code 87 and code 96 both of which are refering to the fuel circut but why would the pump not work when the motor is warm????

thank you in advance:icon_hornsup:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You have to do a fuel pressure test. Check it when cold and check it when it does not start. You can find out how to do it on you tube.

Or get some starter fluid and spray it into the intake tube. If it starts or attempts to start you know it is a fuel problem. Do some searches on here and you will find a ton of info on how to troubleshoot a fuel pump issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals