• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2.9 manual intermitant horrible running

daduke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 ranger with an 88 computer, a 90 motor, and 700,000 miles thats driving me crazy . it will always start right up and runs ok sometimes but it seems slow. other times it will run rich start missing and chugging, the idle will roam around, and it will stall. if I am driving and it starts doing this I can get it to run ok again by flipping the key off and back to on while moving and it will pull itself back together for a few minutes.

I checked the codes it has had an o2 sensor code since i changed the computer also has a secondary fuel pump circuit failure code. i've replaced both the o2 sensor and its plug. and my pumps seem to be working just fine.

what I've replaced so far. when I got it the computer was still an 86 computer. I swapped it to an 88 computer ( no egr). it has a new tfi module, iac, new coil, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, both pumps, 2 new injectors, air charge temp sensor, tps, map, all vac hoses have been changed or deleted, o2 sensor and plug since the old one became one with the exhaust.

I'm running out of ideas of what could be causing this . anyone have any suggestions of what to try next.

daduke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ran a code scan today forund out i got quite a few

koeo 21,24,67,95,29

koer 21,41

my understanding is that

code 95 secondary fuel pump cuircit falure. my 86 truck doesnt have the fuel pump monitoring cuircut i cant see how that would cause an issue.
29 vss failure i didn't even know theat would have a vss. what kind off issues would that cause?
21,24 im replacing ect and iat
i dont exactly know what 67 is since i have a manual

and for 41 ive replaced my o2 sensor and the plug i had this code before the computer swap i have no vacuum leaks and if anything its running crazy rich

samwyse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had a very similar problem in terms of engine performance (not codes) in my '86 that was related to my Throttle Position Sensor. It was a quick and easy replacement that saved me a lot of headache.

daduke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I think I actually figured it out mostly. my grounds were all in the wrong places, fixed that and its been running pretty good. only thing its doing now is if I restart it warm it'll get lumpy and try to stall after a few minutes, but if I nurse it through that 2 minutes of trying to stall it runs fine. I'm gonna try and put a new o2 sensor in and check all the other grounds if I can find where they are all supposed to be. I have the service manual but my electrical section is mostly missing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals