• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sony CDX-GT920U head unit

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT920U/Sony-CDX-GT920U.html?search=cdx-gt920u&tp=5684

I just got this unit for Christmas last year. It is awesome! Crutchfield wants about $300 for it, I got mine brand new off eBay for about $130.

It has a rear USB input, which is the main reason I bought it. I was sick of carrying around my huge CD wallet with 80+ CDs which were getting scratched and started to skip a lot. I routed the USB cable to the glove compartment where I have a 16 GB flash drive plugged in. I have about 100 albums stored on it and I still only used about 1/3 of the total capacity, even when using the highest quality sound settings. (If you use any kind of device like this, use the highest quality settings!!! It takes up more storage space but it sounds so much better!! Definitely worth it!! Note: default settings are NOT the highest quality settings.)

Accessing songs on the drive is very easy. You press a button, and the list of all the albums comes up. Scroll through them by turning the knob, select the one you want, and select the song you want. I kind of wish it would list the artists first, THEN the album, and then the songs, but I got used to it and it doesn't bother me. Maybe when copying music to the flash drive, there's a way to do that, but I haven't figured it out.

The CD player works great. It lists the album and song info if it's available. No skipping, great sound quality. It has one of those cool motorized faces that move down and outward to eject/insert CDs.

AM/FM radio-- I pretty much never used the radio, only once when I first got it to test it out. Seems to work great. Good reception, pretty easy to access stations. IIRC, you press the knob left and right to manually tune stations, and push the knob up and down to scroll through the preset stations.

It also has a front AUX input to easily plug in an iPod or other portable device. I've never used it even once, so I can't really comment here.

Adjusting sound settings and menus is very easy and intuitive, one of the things I've always liked the most about Sony units. Usually on units like these, where you have only 1 knob and just a few buttons to control everything, scrolling through menus and such can get really confusing and frustrating :cough: Pioneer :cough: But that is not the case with this unit.

It has a pretty cool, although a little cheesy, graphics display that shows little animations while music is playing. (The ricer in me enjoys this :D)You can have a choice between several different displays, or set it so it automatically plays one after another, or you can just turn it off. The display can sometimes get washed out in bright sunlight and make it hard to see.

That's pretty much all I have to say about it. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. I know Sony gets a lot of crap about being poor quality, and while I admit their speakers aren't great, their head units are really, really good IMO. I have a cheap, bare-bones-model Sony in my Accord as well, and it works excellent after 7-8 years of use.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
How are your files named and what is your folder setup like?

Have you tried setting up your directory "Tree"
so that on your computer the album files are in
turn inside artist folders?

Obviously this must be done before loading the files on the iPod

All my mp3 files are titled with a number (three digit) and just the song title.
I keep them seperate by album and I keep the album seperate by artist.

So for instance AC-DC's song "Hells Bells"
is: F:\mp3\AC-DC\08 Back in Black\001 Hells Bells.mp3

All my mp3 files are of course properly tagged.

I'd know if this would work if I actually had an iPod,
but though I run mostly mp3s, I have a disc changer (a CDX-757MX)
that plays mp3-CD's, but my older head unit (a Sony CDX-M610)
doesn't display id3 tags.

AD

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, forgot I made this thread. Yes, I have the folders organized by artist first, then the album folders inside of that, then the song files. It still just lists the albums first instead of the artist folders.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals