• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oddball 2.9 project...

Rusty_Old_F250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1973, 1976
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
390 v8, 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
So a buddy of mine has a 2.9 from a wrecked ranger that I can get for pretty much free, one cyl head has issues and it's also missing the exhaust manifold from that side, but the other side is still complete and in good working order... Now I need a big air compressor and with a firing order of 1-4-2-5-3-6 that 2.9 should run fine as an inline 3... Get where I'm going with this? :stirthepot:

Now, to make this happen, I'll need to fab an intake and special exhaust manifold, etc etc, that's no big deal. My concern is getting it to run as a 3cyl, if it was carb'ed that would be no big deal, but I have a feeling that the EEC1 is going to really miss those other 3cyls and run like keee-rap! (if anyone has any ideas about how to fool the computer into making it run I'm all ears! it comes with the computer and wiring harness)

Has anyone ever put a carb dizzy into one of these things? I know the 2.8 cam spins the other way, so that's a bit of an issue. Could I just find a 2.8 dizzy, swap gears and be good to go?

Or if someone wants to trade me a 2.8 for this 2.9 that would work too...

Sam

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Making it run on 3 cylinders is going to be easy. Unplug those three injectors. Start engine.

The EECIV (not EEC1) will not miss those 3 cylinders any more than a carb will. I honestly think you are giving that old system too much credit.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
I don't see why it wouldn't work, that ODB1 EMS do not have any anti-tamper that I am aware of. Now splitting the intake could be done with JB-weld on the cold side, injectors unused, spark plugs fired in open air.

The only “other” intakes I have never seen take webers in 3X2 combination, so no advantage there.

You profile can be edited to show general location, its unlikely anyone would give you a 2.8 without knowing the distance.

Rusty_Old_F250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1973, 1976
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
390 v8, 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
Interesting! Thanks guys, it sounds like this project just got a lot easier. I'm in Seattle, but by the looks of it I may not need a 2.8 after all.

Now for some brainstorming... I can fab a plate to sandwich between the upper and lower intake to block off the 3 compressor cylinders, then maybe drill and tap the lower intake for a pair of 1/2 npt fittings on each runner... Or! :icon_idea: Just cut the side out of each lower intake runner, cover the holes with some foam to filter out bugs/big crud and we are done with the intake. Then cut a flange for the exhaust side and build a pressure manifold with a check valve.

If this works out as well as i think it will, I might bite the bullet and have a custom cam ground so I get compression from the compression cyls on every upstroke...

Sam

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You won't be able to block off just one bank by putting something between the upper and lower intake. There are 3 main runners that split below the mating surface. If you want to kill air flow into one whole side of the engine I'd take the rockers and pushrods out on that side.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why block the intake? There is no fuel to worry about.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rusty_Old_F250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1973, 1976
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
390 v8, 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
Holy crap... Could it really be this easy??? I thought about pulling compressor air from the plenum, but I'm not sure, gas fumes always get up there somehow, must be after the motor gets shut off. Gas and oil tends to kill air hoses, I'll give it a try though, might not be anything to worry about!

As far as blocking half the intake with a plate, I haven't actually looked at one in person yet, but from this picture, it looks like it would work... I could be wrong though, I have been wrong before! :D EDIT: Forgot to include the picture, here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ranger-2-9-Intake-Manifold-Lower-86TF9424CF-86-87-88-89-90-91-92-Bronco-II-/401002988592?fits=Make:Ford&hash=item5d5da40430:g:lkEAAOSwKIpWCYwd&vxp=mtr

Thanks guys, now I need to beat this stupid cold I've got and get my butt up to my buddy's and get that motor!

Sam

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That may work then. It's been a while since I had a 2.9 top end apart. I was thinking, for some reason, that those runners were open to each other below the mating surface, but now that I see that picture I'm not so sure.

Rusty_Old_F250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1973, 1976
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
390 v8, 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
With this motor the individual runners on the lower intake are a lifesaver! If I was going to use a 2.8 I would have to build a custom intake, not too big a deal but this is a heck of a lot easier. I was kind of looking forward to turning that 2150 2bbl into a 1bbl though... If the motor is half the size, never mind trying to find a smaller carb, just plug one jet, half the pump nozzle, an air bleed and whatever else runs to the second venturi. :icon_confused: Part of me just wants to know if it would even work.

More brainstorming... I may back off the rockers on the compressor side, the valve overlap isn't going to help me here. (Valve clatter? What valve clatter? ;missingteeth; )

Thanks guys, I owe you one! :beer::icon_pepsi::popcorn:

EDIT: ADSM, I might have to "borrow" that signature, because, funny thing, there's more than one thing wrong with me too!

Sam

Last edited:

Rusty_Old_F250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1973, 1976
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
390 v8, 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
One more question for now... How badly would the computer "miss" the O2 sensor? If no sensor is present, would it just stay at base rich but otherwise run somewhat normal? I'll figure out a way to put the sensor back in it, but I'm curious.

Sam

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It will run ok without an O2. It will run better without one at all than it will with a bad one, that much I know for sure.

Rusty_Old_F250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1973, 1976
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
390 v8, 300 I6
Transmission
Manual
That's funny, makes sense though. I guess the EECIV isn't smart enough to know the sensor is on the fritz and that it should ignore it. Maybe I will just leave it out, I'll bet seeing only half the exhaust it "thinks" should be there could mess with it too.

Sam

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals