• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 2.9 not running

Birkirel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys I am new to this forum and now I need your help.

The ranger is a 1991 2.9 v6 with just over 60.000 miles.

I have had my ranger for a few years now and suddenly it was running poor when cold, when it had been running for a few minutes on rough idle it started to run OK, but a little backfire on deacceleration.

Now the car has stopped starting/running.

The car runs if I spray starter fluid in to the intake.

Here is a list of what I have replaced/checked

-new spark plugs and wires
-new ignition cover and hammer
-new ignition coil
-new fuel pump and filter
-new lower and upper intake manifold gaskets

-spark on all plugs
-all injectors get signal to spray fuel
-fuel pump relay is OK
-looped over inertia switch
-checked all ground wires and cleaned

Hope someone can help me out

-Birkir

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it starts on starting fluid, I think you may have a defective new fuel pump. Have you checked fuel pressure? BTW, great looking little truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, fuel pressure would have been the thing to check first if it was firing with starting fluid.

'91 should have 30-40psi at the rail.
The 2 things that hold the pressure are the Check Valve in fuel pump, and the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the fuel rail.
Check valve is basically just a flap on the output of the pump, when pump is off(key off) the flap closes to prevent fuel from flowing backwards.

FPR uses a valve, spring and engine vacuum
FPR is connected to fuel rail and Fuel Return line.
When engine is off spring holds valve closed so fuel can't go into the Return line.
FPR also has a vacuum hose, when engine is running(fuel pump is on) the intake vacuum pulls valve open, at idle vacuum is high and fuel use low, so FPR valve is open quite a bit, when accelerating or at higher RPMs the vacuum is low so valve closes maintaining approx. 35psi fuel pressure.

First check vacuum hose on FPR, if valve is leaking there will be fuel in that hose, replace FPR if there is.

On the fuel rail there is a Schrader Valve, this looks like a tires air valve because tires use Schrader valves too, lol.
If you push in the center pin fuel will spray out, same as air would on the tire, and at 30psi there would be alot of pressure, same as 30psi in a tire.

Fuel system should hold pressure for a few months, not minutes, hours, or days.

Fuel pressure gauge isn't expensive, $15-$25, but just testing for pressure by pushing in center pin can tell you alot, but be careful, fuel is flammable and if pressure is good it can spray 30+ft

You could also remove the Return line from FPR, put a towel down under FPR outlet, turn key on, fuel pump should run for 2 seconds then shut off, that is normal, if fuel comes out of FPR and continues to come out, so 0 pressure left in rail then replace FPR

Last edited:

Birkirel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies guys, will look into getting a fuel pressure gauge and start there.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Birkirel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, fuel pressure would have been the thing to check first if it was firing with starting fluid.

'91 should have 30-40psi at the rail.
The 2 things that hold the pressure are the Check Valve in fuel pump, and the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the fuel rail.
Check valve is basically just a flap on the output of the pump, when pump is off(key off) the flap closes to prevent fuel from flowing backwards.

FPR uses a valve, spring and engine vacuum
FPR is connected to fuel rail and Fuel Return line.
When engine is off spring holds valve closed so fuel can't go into the Return line.
FPR also has a vacuum hose, when engine is running(fuel pump is on) the intake vacuum pulls valve open, at idle vacuum is high and fuel use low, so FPR valve is open quite a bit, when accelerating or at higher RPMs the vacuum is low so valve closes maintaining approx. 35psi fuel pressure.

First check vacuum hose on FPR, if valve is leaking there will be fuel in that hose, replace FPR if there is.

On the fuel rail there is a Schrader Valve, this looks like a tires air valve because tires use Schrader valves too, lol.
If you push in the center pin fuel will spray out, same as air would on the tire, and at 30psi there would be alot of pressure, same as 30psi in a tire.

Fuel system should hold pressure for a few months, not minutes, hours, or days.

Fuel pressure gauge isn't expensive, $15-$25, but just testing for pressure by pushing in center pin can tell you alot, but be careful, fuel is flammable and if pressure is good it can spray 30+ft

You could also remove the Return line from FPR, put a towel down under FPR outlet, turn key on, fuel pump should run for 2 seconds then shut off, that is normal, if fuel comes out of FPR and continues to come out, so 0 pressure left in rail then replace FPR
Just checked fuel pressure. When I turn the key, pump starts and fuel pressure goes to about 40psi while the pump is running, then the pressure immediately drops to 0 when the pump stops.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That would be FPR failure or Fuel pump's check valve.

Unless there is a pool of gas at the engine or under the truck :)

Check vacuum hose on FPR for gas first.
The Fuel Return line is connected to the FPR as well, you can squeeze it closed with vise grips, although you need to be careful not to damage the hose, this would prevent gas from flowing out of broken FPR valve.
If system holds pressure with Return line pinched off, or there is gas in vacuum hose, replace FPR.

If there is no gas in vacuum hose and pinching off Return Fuel line still shows 0 pressure after pump shuts off then Fuel pump will need to be replaced.

In the fuel tank the pump does connect to a lift hose that then connects to the outlet hose on the outside of the tank.
The lift hose can crack, this would also cause the loss of pressure without the smell of gas outside the tank.
Long shot but not a no shot, and you would still need to get into the tank to check it out.

Birkirel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That would be FPR failure or Fuel pump's check valve.

Unless there is a pool of gas at the engine or under the truck :)

Check vacuum hose on FPR for gas first.
The Fuel Return line is connected to the FPR as well, you can squeeze it closed with vise grips, although you need to be careful not to damage the hose, this would prevent gas from flowing out of broken FPR valve.
If system holds pressure with Return line pinched off, or there is gas in vacuum hose, replace FPR.

If there is no gas in vacuum hose and pinching off Return Fuel line still shows 0 pressure after pump shuts off then Fuel pump will need to be replaced.

In the fuel tank the pump does connect to a lift hose that then connects to the outlet hose on the outside of the tank.
The lift hose can crack, this would also cause the loss of pressure without the smell of gas outside the tank.
Long shot but not a no shot, and you would still need to get into the tank to check it out.
Thanks for the quick response. There is no fuel in the vacuum line and the fuel pump is new. Will try and block the return line tomorrow.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"New" used to mean "tested and works"

"New" now means "never tested but warrantied", we are the Quality Control Department for most manufacturers now.

So ".....the Fuel Pumps is new", is more of a "hmmmmm", than a "well that's not the problem" thing.
If the fuel pump was 5 years old, so fairly new but not "new", that would be the less likely failed part IMO

Birkirel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"New" used to mean "tested and works"

"New" now means "never tested but warrantied", we are the Quality Control Department for most manufacturers now.

So ".....the Fuel Pumps is new", is more of a "hmmmmm", than a "well that's not the problem" thing.
If the fuel pump was 5 years old, so fairly new but not "new", that would be the less likely failed part IMO
I blocked the return line and then the fuel pressure got to over 58psi (the gauge only goes to 4bar)

So that means that the fuel pressure regulator is sending all the fuel back to the tank and that is causing the pressure to drop, right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that is what it means, you found the problem

Birkirel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks RonD for the help. just ordered the part and hope it will work out.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Please let us know!

And that is a really nice looking truck!!!

Birkirel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello again. I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator yesterday and now I have a steady 40psi pressure at the fuel rail.

I tried starting the truck for a couple of minutes but nothing much happened, it sounded somewhat like it was going to start but then it just backfired and died.

Then after a short time it sounded like the starter was stuck and nothing happened. After further inspection it looks as the engine is stuck. I can't turn the engine by hand (with a ratchet)

I took the spark plugs out and still nothing, looks like the motor is completely stuck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals