• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E-Brake Not Working, What am I Missing? *PICS*

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I found a bracket and spring with a broken hook a while back. I'm trying to get the ebrake operable and I can't figure out what's wrong. I can get the pedal to the floor, but the truck still moves. Here are some pics.. Am I missing something?

The spring on the right was broke. I cut it shorter to try and make everything tighter.. It did not work. The spring on the left I found hanging off of the drivers side rear brake line.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the springs are to position the cables, keeps them from flopping around, puts the turns where you want them, rubbing stuff etc. they don't have anything to do with braking except maybe keeping the cables from getting kinked.

the cable housing for the long cable needs to move around. as the ebrake is applied the inner cable on the longer one tightens, then the entire cable is pulled, which pulls the bracket, which then pulls the inner of the short cable. adjusting can take a few tries.
bound up inner cables are common up here in the great rust belt.

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
UPDATE:

I jacked the rear end up the truck up, took the wheel and drum off to look at how well the brakes were being applied when the pedal was pushed. All worked good, except the passenger side has a hard to disengaging when the release is pulled. On a side note I started the truck and put it in reverse. When I hit the brakes to stop the wheels from turning it took the rear wheels 2-3 full seconds before they came to a stop.

Not sure if this is the proper way, but I tightened the star wheel on the rear drums and tightened the brakes. The ebrake works the way it should now.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals