• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 F-150 Brake Shudder

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Had this thing 10 years and one month, I have tolerated cruddy brakes namely because they don't figure out. GF wants them fixed though and it has been a constant thorn in my side. It stops great, it is just annoying.

It loves to shudder when braking at highway speed. Over the years I have had the original rotors turned, put two new sets of rotors on the front, turned the rears, new pads on the rear once. Dunno how many sets of pads on the front. I use the middle grade ones, not the cheapies and not the ceramic, even tried a OEM set from Ford. All caliper slide pins move freely.

I think it is with the front, it shakes the steering wheel and dash. ABS light does not come on, changed one front wheel bearing (with wheel sensor) with no change. I don't hear the "er, er er" ABS sound and it doesn't feel like it at all either.

While they used to make a difference for a short while, the last time a year ago I put new pads and rotors on it shuddered on the first stop. :temper:

As far as my driving style goes my Ranger got its first set of brakes since before my F-150 was built three years ago when a brake line went bad and locked a front brake on. It has always been as smooth as glass...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know I am resurrecting a 3 month old thread, however my 03 150 4x4 does the same thing.

I have tried the same that you have with no results, is this something that these trucks are plagued with? I have not done a lot of research on this topic, but surely someone has come up with a solution to the problem. I will start my research and let you know what I come up with.

-Lucas

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother has worked at a Ford dealer for 9 years and has never had another so I kinda doubt it.

I haven't really totally turned him loose on it either, he is blaming rotors which fits the description. But I don't know how they warp so fast.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cheap rotors. I'd get them turned on the on-car lathe, see if that helps any. It makes the rotor true to the vehicle, not some arbitrary imaginary plane related to the arbor of a bench lathe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals