• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard to shift into gear

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This same problem happened to me. Began to get hard shifting into 2nd gear, pretty soon it began getting hard into 3rd. and soon after I wasn't able to get it in gear.. Sounds like you have a bad pilot bearing. Also, if i were you upon removing the transmission i also had a slave going bad. While you have the trans out, you should replace this if you haven't done so. Forcing it into gear is not good that is how you mess up shift forks. I had been forcing it into gear for awhile though (thus the need to replace shift forks). As for the gravel driveway, if you want to do so, good luck :icon_thumby: You'll need a jack if you are doing the job yourself.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Luckily, I'm not having to jam it into gear. It'll slip in gear if I'm patient with it and try a few times, if it doesn't work on the first time. Thanks for the heads up, though. Did you fix your tranny/clutch yourself?

I know, gravel driveways aren't really that much fun.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, I didn't fix it myself, mostly due to inclement weather, snow + an icy driveway isn't really an ideal situation for jobs like this. If it wasn't icy and a little warmer at the time I would have done the job myself. If it could have waited I would have installed a whole new setup for what I paid to have it done. Personally I would find a better surface that'll support a jack, and something a little more comfortable :icon_confused:

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I'm gonna try to bum some driveway space from a buddy. I do have a thick tarp I lay down on the gravel when I'm wrenching, so it helps a lot.

Did you have the symptom that it was hard to get into 1st unless you were slightly rolling?

killbot21230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The pedal bracket will crack and flex enough to take away some pedal movement causing shifting problems

Shamless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2005
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
95, 2.3L, 5 spd

Clutch pedal feels firm with no slop.

Sometimes I cannot get her to change into gear while driving. If I'm at a stoplight, she won't go into 1st/2nd very easily. I tried pumping the clutch pedal, but it didn't improve the situation at all.

I can kind of jam it into gear, but it is difficult. It feels like I am trying to push it through a wall. It's much easier to shift into 1st when I am coasting to a stop.

Also, sometimes she'll grind going into 3rd gear, even if the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor.

While the truck is off, I can shift into gears easily and smoothly.

Summary:
1. Very hard shift into 1st or 2nd; pumping pedal did not help.
2. 3rd gear grinds sometimes, even if clutch pedal is completely depressed.
3. Truck shifts into gear easily and smoothly when off.

I've read a lot of stuff saying that the MC and SC are the likely culprits. I haven't noticed any leaks, and all the fluids seem to be at correct levels and fluids are good.

Is there a linkage to adjust with these trannys, or is there a direct connect between shifter and tranny? I'm not exactly sure how this particular system works.

I read some stuff about brake fluid is what's used in the hydraulics. Does this mean it's fed from the brake reservoir, and I may just need a fluid change?

I've also read that bleeding the hydraulics on these models is a PITA. I've never, ever done any tranny work/maintenance besides drain and filling the tranny fluid. Is this something that can be done with basic tools and a basic understanding of the system?

TIA for the help!!
What was the outcome? I am having the exact same issue! I've litteraly been busting my knuckles on my stereo and car charger in my outlet from having to push so hard to get it in 1st&3rd on my 98 ranger. Same as you it started in 1st and progressively got worse now it's to the point where I struggle with any gear even 5th going down the hwy. If I end up stopped at a light in N I'll litteraly have to shut my truck off to put it in gear. At first it was only while I was sitting still but now it's tough when I'm moving as well.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What was the outcome? I am having the exact same issue! I've litteraly been busting my knuckles on my stereo and car charger in my outlet from having to push so hard to get it in 1st&3rd on my 98 ranger. Same as you it started in 1st and progressively got worse now it's to the point where I struggle with any gear even 5th going down the hwy. If I end up stopped at a light in N I'll litteraly have to shut my truck off to put it in gear. At first it was only while I was sitting still but now it's tough when I'm moving as well.
bigalpha has not been here since 2009 so I doubt you will get a response.

That said, I suspect that you've got an issue with the clutch hydraulics - check the fluid level, if it's low, your slave cylinder is probably leaking. I would also really recommend checking the transmission fluid level, M5ODs are notorious for leaking and they will get very hard to shift if they're low on fluid (I know from experience................)

Also, welcome to TRS, good to see another local person on here!

SplashRedRocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Synchro gears are worn. Time for a rebuild or replace~

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
I had the same problem with my 5 speed several years ago. I had taken it to a transmission shop, they said it needed a clutch and pressure plate, which they installed. When I picked up the truck, it had the same problem. Took it back a week later, this time was told 8t needed synchros. They put in the synchros, I went to pick it up and it was worse. I nursed it home and checked under the hood, they didn't put any brake fluid in the reservoir. I filled the reservoir and bled the clutch, same issue. Here's what I learned from a really good mechanic. You need to carefully check the condition of the flywheel to make sure it wasn't over machined. Theres only a few thousandths tolerance that allows the clutch to work with ease. He replaced the flywheel and I haven't had a problem with it since. Its something that I should have been aware of, but it looked like it was in good condition. Totally missed that one !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals