• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fellow northerners...how much weight do you run in the bed during winter?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Dead bodies work just as well as sand or anything else. I put two or three zombies into the back and then cover them with snow...Since zombies have been dead for a while there is not much weight loss due to fluids but the muscle mass tends to drop off rapidly if they get too warm and start to stink...that's when I toss them out into a dumpster (Zombie Dumps are great) and get some fresh ones...

If there is no run on dead zombies I usually get about 200 lbs of snow back there...and I agree with the tire idea...

Good tread and a few dead will get you there...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i.....i uh...

awwww fawk it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dead bodies work just as well as sand or anything else. I put two or three zombies into the back and then cover them with snow...Since zombies have been dead for a while there is not much weight loss due to fluids but the muscle mass tends to drop off rapidly if they get too warm and start to stink...that's when I toss them out into a dumpster (Zombie Dumps are great) and get some fresh ones...

If there is no run on dead zombies I usually get about 200 lbs of snow back there...and I agree with the tire idea...

Good tread and a few dead will get you there...

it must be getting cold in canada already..it's freezing people's brains !

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
it must be getting cold in canada already..it's freezing people's brains !
:icon_rofl:

Sorry...not that cold yet...

Just a side effect from my quarterly visit to see the vascular surgeon yesterday and...well, thinking of things dead and all that is a typical side effect...

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_rofl:

Sorry...not that cold yet...

Just a side effect from my quarterly visit to see the vascular surgeon yesterday and...well, thinking of things dead and all that is a typical side effect...
aha, hope all is well anyway.

my guess is last winter we probably got more snow here in Mass than you guys did north of the border
- not looking forward to that again. you can keep it. this time hope i'm more prepared with 4x4 vs.
the old 4 cyl rwd which did remarkably ok!

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I usually run a 3/4 ton spare in the bed between the wheelwels, weighs 230 pounds. Have a fiberglass cap. Now that im in a 2wd 4 cyl instead of the v6 4x, we'll see what happens. Still have my winter wheels from the old truck, going to try them as they are alot newer and better suited for snow, they are bigger though so im not using 5th gear. Maybe next summer i can swap out the axle i have now for a 8.8 with rear discs and 4.10s with a lockrite. Right now its a 7.5 /3.73/open/9" drums

Pete99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just seeing this thread now, but last winter I filled up several 5-gallon buckets with sand and kept them stationary using ratcheting spreader bars. Worked out to about 150lbs plus the weight of the fiberglass cap, and it was good to have sand handy (though as others have said, last year's permasnow here in New England meant gravel was really the way to go).

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so it's a little bit of an old thread, but I'll put in my two cents...

I found that the tires played a bit of a part in how much weight was good. Mud tires needed a lot of weight when the snow was packed down and icy, but in deeper snow, you wanted virtually no weight. I also ran all seasons and some aggressive AT tires over the years. Don't really remember exactly what I ran with the crummy all season tires, but the aggressive AT tires I would usually run 150# in my Ranger. I took to using bags of lead shot (like for reloading a shotgun). Small little bag weighed in at 25# and they had a lot of inertia (they didn't like to move for any reason). Being small, I could pile them out of the way next to the wheel wells since I used the truck for work and needed the open bed space.

My choptop gets run around empty in the winter. It seems to go incredibly well like that so I haven't bothered to add any weight other than the spare 35" tire hanging off the back (it does act a little funny without the spare on the truck).

My F-150, my normal tool load seems to be enough with the aggressive tires I run, Mastercraft Courser CT tires. I have put bags of sand in the back, but they often get in the way, they will get frozen to the floor of the bed when I need to move them, and they'll come free and slide around smashing into things when I don't want them to move, so I gave up.

Bottom line? Experiment with different weights, you'll most likely want between 100 and 300 lbs in the bed. Make sure it's secure and doesn't move around. A frozen bag of tubesand will do a lot of damage if it starts sliding around, and remember that something like a concrete block will do a lot of damage without being frozen, so choose your materials for adding weight appropriately.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't run any weight in the rear of any of my trucks. Just drive and don't worry about it. Never had a problem. The little ranger runs an auto locker in the rear (Powertrax no-slip) and once U get used to it, it is fine. I can do 180's and turn on a dime anytime I want lol! I ran 31X10.5X15 BFG AT KO's last yr and it slid all over the place. This wasnt due to the tread but rather the width of the tire. This year I am trying the stock 235-75's ATs and they seem to do better being skinnier if only by an inch or so. I'd run pizza cutter tires in the winter if they made one tall enough!

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
This year I am trying the stock 235-75's ATs and they seem to do better being skinnier if only by an inch or so. I'd run pizza cutter tires in the winter if they made one tall enough!
That is why the old cars and trucks from the 20s and earlier ran those 24 inch by about 3 inch wide tires. They would cut down to the solid stuff on the dirt roads rather than slide around on the mud/snow.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I fill my bed with snow for weight, it works great and melts in the spring so no disposal.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Some snow and a bunch of green apple logs from a tree that fell into my turn around.The weight seems to help . I'm in 4 high but the hubs aren't locked.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals