• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for 1 ton SAS

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got a set of 1985 Ford 1 tons (D60 & 10.25 Sterling) from a buddy. I plan on lincoln locking the rear and running a lockright up front. I am just going to keep the factory gears (4.10). I figure once I put the doubler in it will be a nice crawl ratio and even in 4 Lo the V6 will still be able to turn the tires pretty well. I am going to run Ranger leaf springs up front, probably taking out the bottom leaf so the lift isn't too extreme. Depending on clearances I will ditch the 3" BL. I am going to run hydro assist steering and I still need to order a DIY BTF diff cover for the rear. I will probably wait a while to go to 35 spline externals and lock outs up front.

Here are some pics.

Got some parts.
new u bolts and spring plates for the rear. These components are beefy!

new diff cover for the front. It is all 3/8"

Yanked out the old axles. Still need to take out lift brackets up front. Started to mock things up to see what it would look like with the new axles and tires. Not exact but gives you an idea. The truck will sit a good bit higher when on the axles. It was pooring rain when I took the pics.

The tires in the pics are 39.5 PitBull Rockers.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that diff cover is freakin awesome.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that diff cover is freakin awesome.
Yeah, all the brackets and such are from RuffStuff Specialties. I have a spring swap kit for the front and some leaf spring hangers coming for the front from them too. The rear diff cover is going to be a DIY kit from Blue Torch Fab but I still need to order that.

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking good, are you planning to run those size tires you have mocked up in the pics or are you going bigger?

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good, are you planning to run those size tires you have mocked up in the pics or are you going bigger?
I will be running the ones in the pics. Bigger? Heck, they are 39.5" tall. They will get BIGGER when mounted and inflated. Going to run them on a 16x10 rim. I have been told these tires balloon out like a mofo when aired up. If I went any bigger I might start to have clearance issues in the rear since the rear axle is so close to the cab. Plus I got a set of 4 practically brand new for a total of $400. Couldn't pass that kind of a deal up.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just ordered axle swap kit and spring hangers for the front. Hoping to get both axles hung over Easter Break. I will have to wait until funds replenish themselves before moving onto the high steer hydro assist steering. BTW anyone have 16x10 8 lug rims for sale? They are harder to find than I thought and I refuse to buy rims new.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
That truck is getting more badass all the time. Did you do away with the bed altogether or did you pull it off for the axle swap? BTW love the US Army star on the doors.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You'll be able to throw quite a bit of mud with those tires. Looks Good

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That truck is getting more badass all the time. Did you do away with the bed altogether or did you pull it off for the axle swap? BTW love the US Army star on the doors.
Yeah, I just got rid of the bed all together. I still need to finish up the rear. There is going to be a spare tire mount above the gas tank.

The truck just looked too plain with the black bedliner. I thought the tan would contrast the black well and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
More progress. Rear axle installed but still needs to be plumbed for brakes. Front axle crudely mocked up and ready for install after graduation in early May. Tires mounted on rims and put on axles to get some measurements. Going to cut down the rear shackles to correct length when front susp. is done. Going to ditch the 3" body lift as well. Waiting on D.D. Machine doubler before making new driveshafts.

Here is a pic from the backside.

Here are some quick numbers.
outside tire edge to outside tire edge = 84"
approx. wheel base = 115"
ground clearance to bottom of rear housing = 11.5"
ground clearance to bottom of rear axle tube = 16.25"
ground clearance to bottom of front housing = 13"
ground clearance to bottom of front axle tube = 17"

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lookin good, any word from duffy lately?

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, he said most likely early April. He can take until May for all I care since I won't be back home until after graduation anyway.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Finally, update. Went to the steel yard today and got some necessary material.

Steering is half done. Front spring hangers are done. Rear driveshaft is made but not installed yet. Waiting on spring bushings, shackles, and more weld in bungs and TREs. Here are some pics. BTW, the blocks in the pics are not weight bearing but just there as a precautionary measure.

new cribbing for jackstands

Sorry, didn't have any hot female models on hand.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
goodnite! thats a badass setup.

quick question! is there a reason why the gear oil plug is in the center of the diff cover rather than the top? im gonna build my own cover but wasnt sure if having too much gear oil in a diff could cause some problems.

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's the way it came. It is from Ruff Stuff Specialties. Don't think you would need more gear oil than what the factory already specifies. That sucker will take plenty of oil as is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals