• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 ranger vibration after service

captainelectric

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
3.0 automatic 2wd. 97 ranger. 230,000 miles runs great uses no oil.

Had a friend (ford mechanic) replace the leaking timing cover gasket and timing chain while in there(230000 miles ran perfect) and oil pan gasket and oil pump and new water pump. Motor and trans ran perfect. he also changed the trans fluid and filter while on lift. he said he had lots of trouble with oil pan and pump. took four hours to get new pump on because pan wouldn't come out. Im assuming he jacked the motor up and around a lot. The harmonic balancer seal and sleeve leaked so he installed a new balancer today. back up to yesterday...

NOW. went to pick it up yesterday before the new harmonic balancer and after warming it up well, I checked passing gear by flooring it and it has a rpm brought on vibration/roar when the rpms come up in any gear. what the heck? this was before the new harmonic balancer today. haven't driven again yet. Feels like its below the trans area of floorboard. truck was perfect until he worked on it. It reminds me of a old race car with solid motor mounts or a drive shaft out of alignment or balance. What could he have done to cause a vibration? what could be damaged from this work? Its blowing my mind. Ive spent $1000 to ruin my truck :(. He has no clue.
Ideas please.
thx in advance

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could have a loose motor mount if it was lifted and then reset.

Could also be the fan clutch, this would have to be removed and re-installed for the work done, these will give a higher RPM related vibration, as you describe, not specific to vehicle speed.

I wouldn't suspect trans or driveline since it isn't speed related.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Broke motor mount, " assuming he jacked the motor up and around a lot"?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals