• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 blew opting for a 2.3

d1c3y

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey the guys. The good old 98 2.5 blew and a friend gave me his 2.3 with nothing wrong with it. Havn't got the exact year on the 2.3 but im noticing problems.

The power stearing mount is differn't but not such a big deal. But my main problem is the 2 sensors on the bottom end. One on the oil pump area and one on the opposite side on the crank.

My 2.3 doesn't have any mounting points for these.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
I had a 1998 Ranger with a 2.5 sold it about 4 years ago. Now I have a 1994 with a 2.3 and I'm thinking there are too many differences. My 1994 has a Crank position sensor but no cam position sensor. If you don't even have a crank position sensor towards the front then it has a distributor, right? The PCM should be changed out too. Once you go to a parts website like A-zone or Advan... and compare the accessories part number differences...yuck. Consider selling the 2.3 and buy a 2.5.

d1c3y

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it has the hole for the distributor but it just has a mach one in there to drive the oil pump.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
What blew on the 2.5L? if the block is in tact, the 2.3L rotating assembly will fit in the 2.5L block. In '96 they switched to a oil pump behind the auxilary pulley which also has the cam sensor in it, and at the same time the crank sensor moved to the passenger side of the engine on the front seal housing. That and the accessories are the main differences, and will be hard to swap around between the two.

d1c3y

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya I am finding out there is many changes in the 2. I also have a 88 turbo coupe motor im thinking about putting in. Maybe that is the best choice? I have the computer for that motor and the harness so atleast i wouldnt have to worry about those pesky sensors.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'95+ engine for '95+ trucks, the difference is obd1 vs '95+ obd2. Obd2 has more sensors and stuff. '95+ they redesigned the blocks. As previously stated the rotating assemble will physically swapped with any '89-'01 ranger but blocks are unique to '95+ trucks.

btw whats the condition of the crankshaft in the old 2.5?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals