• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

head gasket positioning

Milillo02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hi guys, thank u in advance for any help...im in the process to install my new heads on my 2000 ranger 3.0 flex...head gasket/both cracked heads....when i pulled the old heads off the head gaskets came off with the heads so when i took a picture of the engine it didnt show the position of the head gaskets and i never thought about checking until now that im putting it back together. so what im asking is what should the position of the gaskets be? the way i was able to figure it out by checking the pictures i have and following the directions on the new gaskets them selfs shows the gaskets having the elongated coolamt holes on the front of the engine (both heads) to be blocked and the 2 elongated coolant holes in the rear (both heads ) to be open. Is that right?

Milillo02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
In that you tube video, it shows that the gasket he used had front and rear open holes on the gaskets...mine only had one side open..I used fel pro gaskets...as far as the holes for the dowels, the gaskets have then on all 4 corners, so u couldn't really go by that

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
following the directions on the new gaskets them selfs shows the gaskets having the elongated coolamt holes on the front of the engine (both heads) to be blocked and the 2 elongated coolant holes in the rear (both heads ) to be open.
Seems the gasket manufacterer gave you the answer ? ^^^
Call the manufacterer for clarification.

Milillo02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to upload some pics for u guys but I keep getting a "upload file failed" message.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm trying to upload some pics for u guys but I keep getting a "upload file failed" message.
You can try uploading to a file hosting website and then copy and paste the IMG file into this thread. Use the little box with the two mountains and sun inside, just above where you are writing.

Milillo02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Figured I'd share, got my answer straight from fel-pro, this is what they said:

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for our post!

That is correct. The coolant needs to flow through the block from front to rear. It then travels at the rear of the block up through the heads and back towards the thermostat. If you reverse the gaskets the coolant will take a "short cut" and the rear cylinders will overheat.

Thanks for choosing Fel-Pro!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals