• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing a jeep?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what gears do you have in your 94? probably 3.27s my truck sucked ass when i would haul a cord of firewood my truck bed bull and 4x8 trailer full. but i swapped to 3.73 gears and it made a huge difference. also you are comparing a ohv motor to a sohc motor. the sohc makes a more power.

your comparing apples to oranges
Below 3,000rpm the SOHC and pushrod motors are very similar.

I see no problem pulling a Jeep with a Ranger. Just find as small of a trailer as it will fit on.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger will do it, easy. Like others have said, the total weight may be an issue or may not as far as legal capacity. Get a good class 3 hitch and keep your head about you when you're towing (that'll be a good bit of weight back there), but it can be done.

I have a class 3 hitch on my Ranger, the truck has the higher GVWR despite being a 3.0L (which means it has the larger brakes too), and I upgraded the rear leaf springs to a custom leaf pack. (Stock springs do NOT like to be heavily used, lol)

With my Ranger I towed:

1988 Bronco II Eddie Bauer on a tow dolly from Long Island New York to Kittanning in Pennsylvania (about 700 miles or so). Biggest issue was going downhill without the luxury of trailer brakes (but the mountains I was traveling I'd traveled a number of times and knew how to approach the situation).

1989 Bronco II choptop on a tow dolly from Philly in PA to Kittanning. No problems at all.

1989 Bronco II choptop (now lifted, locked and on 33's) with a tow bar from Butler in PA up almost to Erie in PA, then out to go wheeling and back. Struggled a lil trying to climb the dirt road in the middle of the woods, but wasn't all that bad.

YJ Jeep Wrangler on 34" treads with a tow bar from Erie up into New York state and back.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals