• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II SAS Dana 30/8.8....

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought I would share some pics of SAS I am doing for a customer. The BII already has the 4.0 swap done.

Getting a Trussed high pinion Dana 30 with 4.56 gears, and Explorer 8.8 with disc brakes and 4.56 gears. Here are some pics started this morning. Should be done tomorrow. I geared the 8.8 and cut out the pcs. for the brackets last Fri and Sat morning but didn't get as much done since my wife had other plans.

First things first a little boost to start the morning...

Here is the beauty!!!

Had a buddy(Austin TNT's owner) come by to help today...

Bye bye TTB...

Solid axle set in place...

Another solid axle shot!

7.5 out 8.8 in...

Last edited:

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Things left to do brakes, front track bar, steering, upper link on the front axle, hook up shocks, and sway bar. Then test drive. I am shooting for around lunch tomorrow as long as I have help again shouldn't be a problem. We got a ton done from 8am to 3pm with a stop for nap cause I am getting old. :D

I geared, trussed, and relocated the perches on the Dana 30 in less then hour and half. Getting pretty fast at this now since this was my 4th RBV Dana 30 SAS. :icon_hornsup:

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I really need to take a trip out there and bring my truck and axles to you. Nice work!!

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Nice work as usual, Stang.

Those 12 ton HF jackstands were the best investment I've ever made.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'll watch

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been getting a lot people asking how to build the arms since this is such an easy swap I am going to give a parts break down....

Here is link to link ends from Ballistic this truck I used Currie JJ but I had them handy so that is why.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Forged-Ballistic-Joints-Bushings_c_141.html

Bushing as you can see there is two option a premade end or just bushing and make your own. You just use leaf spring bushing. When AMC designed the front 4 link setup on the XJ they made with leaf spring bushings since the parts were easy to come by.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Suspension-Bushings-Accessories_c_161.html

Bung ends two choices square or round the .250 wall square is cheaper then the .250 wall DOM by half...
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/125--12tpi-Tube-Adapters_c_176.html

The steel needed...
5 foot of square or round .250 wall 2 inch tube.
Some 1/4 plate to cut the bracket pcs.
And some 9/16s or 14mm bolts if pull your axle from the JY take all the lower control arm bolts they are 14mm.

I make my arms 29-30" bolt hole to bolt hole. Longer then that is a waste(unless you have 10 inches of suspension lift) but that is your call. Pretty simple I make my frame mounts 7 inches tall to got up the frame and hang down below the from 3.25". I make them 6 inches long and I set the edge 1/4" behind the last rivet of the front body mount. That puts you right in front of the tranny cross member. And saves a ton of work. You will have to trim a little off the body mount on the frame to get the mount a 1/4" off the rivet.

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a pic of the brackets I built for the Merc I have built them all this way. This are just not drilled yet. But you wanna measure 1.5" up from the bottom and 1.5" back and drill a 9/16s hole. By bracing back at 45 degree angle you do a few things, you make a bigger foot print on the frame, they work as skid plates when come down or back up rocks, and your brace the bracket so it will last you many years. The Merc has 23k miles on it's hand made brackets now.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
subscribed.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm paying attention too, I've got a D30 in stock already. You make it look pretty simple.

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Started at 9am since Austin was late. We had to take a hour lunch to get some parts but still had it rolling at 3:15pm with shocks, sway, track, steering, brakes, driveshafts and few other things all hooked up. Truck drives great used 4.5" Rubicon Express XJ coils in the front. Truck is so nice and smooth. It is going to need some double cardan shafts front and rear(little bit of vibe) but other then that it is great.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
that looks hot. great job.

I need to drop of a rig with you... hell, I could just buy double R lol. I love that orange ranger!

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that looks hot. great job.

I need to drop of a rig with you... hell, I could just buy double R lol. I love that orange ranger!
Thanks man! I get excited everytime I get to build one of these RBV they are so cool and fun to swap. 2 days is my personal best I brought in help cause I knew no way I could toss the rear in during the 2 day window. Austin was a big help I had stay on him a little but he did great.

Yeah Double R is big pimping exo is almost done. And it is for sale. LOL :D

Last edited:

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there a way to do this with keeping the lift to like only 2"? Each rig you work on turns out sweet!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals