• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blown fusible link V8 swap

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys,

Been driving a little on my V8 swapped 1986 ranger XLT, then suddenly, SMOKE, and no power anywhere. Found this (see pictures).:bawling:

Blew two fusible links, cant find in the wiring diagrams where they go, just says "hot at all times"

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance,

moose

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hot all the time means they connect to Battery "+".
In 1986 that would be the Starter relay on the fender.

Battery "+" cable runs to one of the Starter Relay's(miscalled starter solenoid) posts.
All the other power distribution wires will run to that same post on the Starter Relay.

So that's where fusible link "C" connected.
Fusible link "E"(and "D") could be connected to Alternator, yellow/white terminal, that gives then power at all times via "C" which is also connected to Alternator

You obviously have a short in the system or they wouldn't have "blown".
Looks like in the ignition switch system, but..............second fusible link shouldn't have blown ??, but could have been a dead short that happened fast enough to take them both out

Last edited:

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hot all the time means they connect to Battery "+".
In 1986 that would be the Starter relay on the fender.

Battery "+" cable runs to one of the Starter Relay's(miscalled starter solenoid) posts.
All the other power distribution wires will run to that same post on the Starter Relay.

So that's where fusible link "C" connected.
Fusible link "E"(and "D") could be connected to Alternator, yellow/white terminal, that gives then power at all times via "C" which is also connected to Alternator

You obviously have a short in the system or they wouldn't have "blown".
Looks like in the ignition switch system, but..............second fusible link shouldn't have blown ??, but could have been a dead short that happened fast enough to take them both out
I traced the short to fusible link D... but where does this wire go?

Obviously I could chase it, but why would it go back to the battery? :icon_confused:

I am going to start chasing tonight after work, but not looking forward to it.

Is it worth mentioning that the ammeter never worked? I think I saw somewhere that the black connector I had to cut out was the shunt for the ammeter. Can I replace this somehow?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
D was the one that melted(blew) not E??

D goes to main light switch and cab fuse panel, here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Headlights_1983to1989.JPG

It could run all the way back to the battery, starter relay, but then AMP meter wouldn't show its power draw.
Fusible Links are fairly short wires, 6 to 8 inches, if fusible link is a 16gauge wire then you should use a 14gauge wire with it, so always 2 gauges larger, 1 is OK, 2 is better, with a short the 16gauge wire can do its job, melt and separate, and 14 gauge would just get warm, if you used the same size/gauge, or smaller then whole wire would melt

AMP meter passing full amps thru it would be impractical and dangerous in a vehicle
So what is done is to install an AMP shunt.
It is basically a large resistor that connects the battery to the vehicle power systems.

So fusible link C goes from battery(starter relay) to AMP Shunt, links D and E connect to other side of Shunt, they power the cab electrics, engine electrics(via ignition switch) and headlights

The amp meter hooks to battery side and power draw side of Shunt.
The meter and shunt used are calibrated, made to work with each other, so amp meter can be showing 25amps, but only .25amps are actually passing thru the amp meter, shunt and meter are calbrated to 100 to 1 for that example.
99% of amps go thru Shunt, 1% thru AMP meter, way safer :)

Battery---starter relay------(link C)--------Shunt-------(links D and E)---------->>

All power is passing thru link C, like 50 or 60amp fuse used in later years, but they switched to Volt meter, so could run head lights and Blower thru separate fuses because no AMP meter was used

Last edited:

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Resolved

Thanks for the help!

I traced the wires through the firewall and back out, then found a hot-in-run wire that was chafed and shorting near the fender. Replaced the fusible link (14ga) with 10" of ga wire, replaced the other with a 20amp fuse. Removed the shunt, and cut and sealed the ammeter wires in the process.

Thanks again!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

You can add a Volt meter easily, just to monitor charging system.
It hooks to any Key on 12volt wire, and a Ground

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals