• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P2196 and P2198 after engine swap

Targis34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0 ltr
Transmission
Manual
I don't usually ask..I mostly read but i'm stumped and I need my truck back so here goes.
I swapped the 3.0l in my 2007 ranger for an engine out of a 2003. I swapped all the sensors (to the best of my recollection) except for the fuel injectors. I am now getting the P2196 and 98 codes. I drives real nice for a while then seems to run rough and throws the codes. I originally thought it was just bank 1 but now realize its both sides. I have the old injectors to use but i'd like some direction before changing them. They are "supposed to be the same" Any help would be appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Was the '03 engine from a Flex Fuel vehicle, and your '07 is not Flex Fuel?
They used different size fuel injectors

"Rich" code is not the engine running Rich, just FYI, it means computer is using too short of a pulse width(open time) for the fuel injectors, based on engine size, air flow and fuel injector size.
Flex Fuel engines had to have larger fuel injectors because E85 ethanol mix has to be richer than gas only mix, and larger injectors allow more fuel to flow in when opened.
Flex Fuel Computer is programmed for the larger injectors.

It could also be leaking fuel injectors, but both banks would be unlikely.

There is a Pulse Damper on the fuel rail, it has a vacuum hose attached, if the Pulse damper leaks raw fuel is sucked into the intake causing Rich codes.
Check that vacuum hose for fuel or fuel smell.

Fuel pressure should be 60-70psi on an '07, if it is higher, then more fuel flows in than computer is expecting so it has to shorten pulse width.

Computer has preset ranges for fuel injector open time, based on RPM, air flow, throttle position.
It watches O2 sensor voltage to tell if exhaust is Lean or Rich
It lengthens injector open time if Lean
It shortens injector open time if Rich

If it shortens open time to preset range and O2 still shows Rich, it lets the driver know by turning on the CEL and setting Rich code.

Lean codes are usually a Vacuum leak or MAF sensor issue
Rich could be either but long shot, usually means wrong injector size or fuel leaking in to intake.

Last edited:

Targis34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0 ltr
Transmission
Manual
That's a great answer and follows what i was thinking. Although I didn't think about it being flex fuel, but it makes sense.
Unfortunately I cant ask old owner of the 2003, I don't have the VIN. Is the another way to check as in engine number?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford uses Bosch fuel injectors and they are color coded, if old injectors are a different color then they are a different LBS/HOUR
If memory serves:
Gas only are 14 lbs/hr
Flex are 24 lbs/hr

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals