• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recipe for 4" of rear lift?

scootpirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 97 Ranger came with a skyjacker kit. I'm less than satisfied with the ride in the back. This must have been a cheaper lift that places a spacer under the factory leaf springs. Here's a pic:

Looks like 4 inches? I'd like to remove that spacer and achieve the same height with proper suspension. I understand that belltech 6400 shackles can get me a couple of inches. I'm hoping the right leaf springs can get me the rest. I've read mixed things about whether I can get 2" of lift from a vanilla explorer. I've also read that the sport trac springs can get me the most lift. I've got every spring imaginable in the junkyard. Please help me come up with a shopping list. I'm new at this.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Buy a set of Skyjacker Soft Ride leaf springs and get rid of the blocks. I use them and they ride beautiful

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Better over all ride over Skyjacker springs is the James Duff. Have had both. Also had blocks for a short time with factory springs.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
explorer 4 door leaves and "chevy lowering shackles" should give you around the height you want with just keeping the stock blocks. I'm running around 6" lift with 3" blocks, 3/4" of height with the spring pads I used, longer shackles, explorer leaves with a mixed in leaf or two from some random lift pack...

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Buy a set of Skyjacker Soft Ride leaf springs and get rid of the blocks. I use them and they ride beautiful
Hey, @deathbypsi.

I have a ’92 Ranger 4x4 that rides like an iron horse, so I was intrigued by your mention of the Skyjacker Soft Ride leaf springs. Unfortunately, when I go to their website, it says they have nothing for my vehicle. Does that seem right? :dunno:

Thanks.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Better over all ride over Skyjacker springs is the James Duff. Have had both. Also had blocks for a short time with factory springs.
Hey, @spevacek.

I tried the Duff website, as well as Skyjacker. Both said they have nothing for my ’92 Ranger 4x4 (other than Duff having a complete lift kit for like 1,700 bucks). Does that seem likely, or am I just using their website incorrectly somehow?

Thanks. :icon_thumby:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
explorer 4 door leaves and "chevy lowering shackles" should give you around the height you want with just keeping the stock blocks. I'm running around 6" lift with 3" blocks, 3/4" of height with the spring pads I used, longer shackles, explorer leaves with a mixed in leaf or two from some random lift pack...
Hey, @scotts90ranger.

I have a Ranger similar to yours (a ’92 Custom, 4.0, 4x4) and she rides like an iron horse. I’m planning to replace the body/bed mount bushings, as they’re shot (not sure which ones to get), but I still doubt that the ride is going to be all that much smoother. Finding an Explorer isn’t really an option for me at this time and I’m not really ready to lift her (I’m happy enough with the height, unless I find a set of rims and tires that I really like some time down the road and need to lift her to make them work). Do you have any recommendations as to leaf springs or bushings that will help with the ride? When she has a load on, she rides nice. When empty and I hit a pothole, she’d blasting the kidneys out of me. :annoyed:

Thanks for any insights you may be able to provide! :icon_thumby:

PS - Sorry to jack your thread, scoot pirate!

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
https://www.dufftuff.com/suspension_s/31.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=31&show=10&page=9

they were about 1/2 way down that page the 3 1/2 inch I am pretty sure will get you where you want to be.

Having ran a Skyjacker class 3 for about 12 years and swapping to a james duff stage 3. I feel I have had enough experience to say which I think is the better riding of the 2 systems. I know with the Sky jacker we had always had alignment and tire wear issues. The James Duff we were able to get the specs on the money with factory specs. Granted I do not put more then 1k miles a year on the truck any longer, but it is still a blast to drive.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Hey, @deathbypsi.

I have a ’92 Ranger 4x4 that rides like an iron horse, so I was intrigued by your mention of the Skyjacker Soft Ride leaf springs. Unfortunately, when I go to their website, it says they have nothing for my vehicle. Does that seem right? :dunno:

Thanks.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-fr34s/overview/make/ford/model/ranger

These are what I run. Have had the same set on three different trucks in the last 8 years. Combined with Duff 70/30 shocks my jeep buddies are all blown away how nice mine rides compared to their lifted jeeps.

Here they are on my newest build using the Bell Tech shackles for another couple inches of lift. This is about 6.5" of total lift.

Here are same leafs on different truck without the BellTech shackles. On 35s tho not 33s like my new truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals