• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Air intake and odd smell.

News Paper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So if you saw my other thread you know this pickup has given and is giving me problems but today got me worried.

So today started off fine ran like normal heated up like normal and all of that but I got an odd smell of nail polish remover for a couple hours while working and I cant find the source of it weather that be my vehicle another on the street or just the area where I work. It started when I was sitting next to an SUV that sounded odd like the engine was about to go but then it stayed for the rest of the work day almost. Noting that I drive with my driver side window down and my rear window open to keep the engine from extra work from the A/C so when doing some research they are all like a coolant leak some where but I have no clue where it has clear exhaust fumes so not burning large amounts at least and no A/C like I said above.

As the smell was odd I decided to go and check the oil and coolant tonight and of course after 2-3 hours of sitting its still hot so I just check the oil and the coolant overflow and when I am done putting the cap back on I see that the intake has something looking to be ripped off. My new question is does this hose that has no end have any importance or what like I cant find where it would connect I don't really know the history besides the last 6 months to a year and my father had it for about 3 months before me he got it from a buy here pay here lot.

(The yellow stuff it rat poison that got wet.)

Sorry for the rambling just my only vehicle and I am too broke to get another just have enough to barley keep fixing this one.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Looks like refrigerant oil leaking down and some kind of melted plastic.
all we have is a picture so it's pretty hard for us to tell you what it is.

The missing hose was part of the air intake from the exhaust manifold, and front grille, to the air box underneath the air filter. It's missing on my 94 supercab, like yours. But it's still there on my 93 long bed.

Last edited:

News Paper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like refrigerant oil leaking down and some kind of melted plastic.
all we have is a picture so it's pretty hard for us to tell you what it is.
Are you talking about the yellow stuff? If so that is rat poison from when I had it in Texas on a farm.

The missing hose was part of the air intake from the exhaust manifold, and front grille, to the air box underneath the air filter. It's missing on my 94 supercab, like yours. But it's still there on my 93 long bed.
So the hose is not that important, if that is the case I will just remove it to keep it from getting in the pulleys.

Edit: I work again today so I will see if the smell comes back when it heats up again.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I wonder what burning rat poison smells like? :dunno:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Well it was like 5 in the morning when I just woke up and couldn't get back to sleep I didn't realize you meant it was actually is rat poison chemically it could be heating up and giving off a smell but what do I know

News Paper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well it was like 5 in the morning when I just woke up and couldn't get back to sleep I didn't realize you meant it was actually is rat poison chemically it could be heating up and giving off a smell but what do I know
I really do need to clean it off, like I said earlier I will see if it has the same smell again today...

News Paper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the smell did come back but not as strong as yesterday and it was only in the main intersection I sit at so I am going to assume it's just the area.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals