• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Payload Package #2 and axle upgrade for towing

Wendsong

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am a novice at this and I know nothing about trucks, so bear with me, please.

My first '92 Ranger had the "Tow package", which I am assuming included the Payload Package #2 and the correct axle ratio. It was rated to tow 4500 lbs and I towed a 3500 lb Lance 5th wheel.

I now have the same truck, a '96 XLT supercab 4.0 V-6 4x2 Ranger with Automatic and Super Engine Cooling except I don't believe I have the Payload Package #2 (Tow package) or 3.55:1 axle ratio. I bought this Ranger new in 1996. From the door sticker, it appears that this Ranger can tow only 2700 lbs.

Can anyone tell me, specifically, what options were included in the Payload Package #2 and how can one determine if my Ranger has it? And, if not, can those options be installed after-market? Is it possible to change/upgrade the axle ratio?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
GCWR, gross combined weight rating, is total weight of vehicle with passengers, cargo in the vehicle, and trailer with its cargo

1993 and up 4.0l Rangers had about a 9,000lbs GCRW

2WD Super cab Ranger weights about 3,500lbs, 4x4s weigh more so can tow LESS weight
So that leaves 5,500lbs for passengers and loads

The Ranger itself has a 4,900lbs vehicle rating so 1,400lbs is max weight in/on the vehicle, passengers and cargo

Yes the rear axle ratio is important but with an automatic trans you have more pulling power, automatic is simply stronger than a manual trans, and has infinite start up ratio in the torque converter, so getting heavier loads rolling is easier.
Generally 3.73 or 4.10 would be better ratios for towing.

Look at the door tag on your 1996, example here: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/axles/ford-7-5-8-8-inch-axle-tag-door-codes/

It will have GVWR, trucks max load at the top, doesn't include trailer, thats truck only
It will also have AXLE code to see what ratio you have.

You will have to see if you can find 1996 GCWR for your model

If your hitch is rated for it the 3,500lbs trailer should be fine for 4.0l Ranger

Trailer hitch also has a max weight rating, 2,000lbs(bumper) or 3,500lbs(below bumper) were the stock hitch ratings

Can you tow more?
Yes, really up to you on what you feel safe with, if you get pulled over and weighed, or there is an accident, is when the "legal" Weight Limits come into play.

Yes, you can add oil cooler, better trailer hitch and change rear ratio to make a better towing rig, that was the "towing package" Ford offered, I think rear springs and shocks were also different with tow package

Last edited:

Wendsong

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Towing Package

In 1992, I bought a new Supercab Ranger with a 4.0L SEFI V-6 engine and a "Tow Package". I don't know what all was included, but it had an automatic, large a/c and 3.55 limited slip axle. It was rated to tow 4500 and I pulled a Lance 5th wheel, which Lance had designed specifically for the Ranger. The Lance dealer installed the hitch, the wiring and replaced the shocks with gas so the truck would be level for the trailer. It was beautiful to behold and to tow!

I now have a 96 Ranger. The VIN code says it will tow 2700. The sticker says it has a 3.55 limited slip axle, but does not list a "tow package". The Ranger Specifications book I have for 1996 lists the Styleside Maximum Trailer Weights for 4.0L SEFI V-6 Automatic with 3.55 Axle Ratio and 4 x 2 Super Cab as 5800 lbs. There is no mention of drum size, suspension, wiring or any other requirements.

I don't know which I should go with, the VIN code or the Specs.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Do you still have the fifth wheel, if not does it really matter? You have the truck, you can make it into whatever you need; larger brakes, larger transmission cooler, extreme duty fan clutch, none of it's terribly expensive unless you blow the transmission!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals