• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Coil Springs did you Use?

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am having a heck of a time trying to find coil spring with a rate of 300 ppi and 20-21 in unsprung length (4x4junkie helped me do the math for a 5/6in lift). I have a 97 xlt and piecing together a lift. I am asking if anyone else has done this what coils did they use or solutions to the problem did they come up with. I know that broncogravyard has a super flex that sits at 23" unsprung and 300 ppi but idk if getting those and cutting them is the best solution. Any help is appreciated!

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
I am super upset this thread did not go anywhere bc I am in the exact situation. I just ordered tho springs forgetting they were probably too long but I wanted 300 ppi myself. 3 years later for this post and still no solution lol.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I'd like to know a little bit more about Springs & spacers because even though I'm not into jacking up my truck for all kinds of off-road use I would like to get the front a little higher, which I think would help the camber adjustment also.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
A simple spacer would be best for getting the front a touch higher. a 1/2" stack of washers works, but I believe there is a actual ford part out there.

You could also move the coil buckets up a touch. It might be a good idea to weld up a small brace on the backside juuuust in case. 2" angle section, and a few trusses to stiffen it up.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Somehow I must've missed this post before (probably because it wasn't in the Suspensions section).

Cutting of coils is feasible, but it will stiffen the spring slightly.
If you were to cut two inches from it, my guess is it will end up in the range of 320PPI (so still a little softer than any TTB-specific offerings).
The bigger potential issue is the top end of the coil's wire might not sit square in the frame bucket afterward due to the angle of the wire, I don't know of any good way to compensate for this (maybe it might not even be an issue, I do know at least one or two members here in the past had cut coils and ran them).

The other option is a custom-wound coil spring. There used to be a company (National Spring) that could do this, but I'm not sure if they're still around, I haven't researched it in awhile.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
A simple spacer would be best for getting the front a touch higher. a 1/2" stack of washers works, but I believe there is a actual ford part out there.

You could also move the coil buckets up a touch. It might be a good idea to weld up a small brace on the backside juuuust in case. 2" angle section, and a few trusses to stiffen it up.
Perplexed, I took a look, the big bolts at the spring mounts are about 1" long above the nut.. is there a cup like holder on the bottom of the spring and the washers go under that? Spring compressor can be rented so that's not a problem I have a friend that has really big socket wrenches and bars.

Still raining outside, anyway what size are these washers I'm guessing around 3/4 or 7/8 for the bolt size?

Last edited:

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
Somehow I must've missed this post before (probably because it wasn't in the Suspensions section).

Cutting of coils is feasible, but it will stiffen the spring slightly.
If you were to cut two inches from it, my guess is it will end up in the range of 320PPI (so still a little softer than any TTB-specific offerings).
The bigger potential issue is the top end of the coil's wire might not sit square in the frame bucket afterward due to the angle of the wire, I don't know of any good way to compensate for this (maybe it might not even be an issue, I do know at least one or two members here in the past had cut coils and ran them).

The other option is a custom-wound coil spring. There used to be a company (National Spring) that could do this, but I'm not sure if they're still around, I haven't researched it in awhile.
I figured if I bought this thread back from the dead you would jump on this convo lol. Its been a couple years since I have been on the forums.

I ended up ordering the james duff lower coil buckets for an EB and the deaver 5" superflex 78-79 bronco springs that are 300ppi. I assumed removing a single coil would slight increase the ppi. Now for my rig I have the james duff upper coil buckets which does fit the bronco springs at the top. My goal (assuming this actually works) is to cut out one full coil and check the ride height to see if i can get something close. I am trying to stay around 4" lift. and these xj skyjacker springs broken down too fast over the last 2 years. They just keep sagging and sagging and sagging to the point I might be at a 2" lift. Once the parts arrive and I get these installed I will report back on how many coils I cut and roughly what my end result of lift I got from it. Hopefully the 300(or325ish)ppi holds up better than the 240ppi thats been on there the last 2 years.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
Perplexed, I took a look, the big bolts at the spring mounts are about 1" long above the nut.. is there a cup like holder on the bottom of the spring and the washers go under that? Spring compressor can be rented so that's not a problem I have a friend that has really big socket wrenches and bars.

Still raining outside, anyway what size are these washers I'm guessing around 3/4 or 7/8 for the bolt size?
The washer do go under that plate you are talking about. if you want more than 1/2-1" you could always get 2" level springs. I used a set of those for awhile just to have my truck sit level. and they dont require too much adjustment from the camber. but definitely recommend an alignment afterwards.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The washer do go under that plate you are talking about. if you want more than 1/2-1" you could always get 2" level springs. I used a set of those for awhile just to have my truck sit level. and they dont require too much adjustment from the camber. but definitely recommend an alignment afterwards.
Thanks for the information! it looks simple enough even though it's probably physically hard because of the size of it Hardware in there.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
Thanks for the information! it looks simple enough even though it's probably physically hard because of the size of it Hardware in there.
nothing a 3 foot breaker bar and a lot of extensions cant fix. It is pretty easy. just get the top of the spring out of the spring perch then go down the center/inside of the spring with some extensions and a socket and break that sucker loose with a 3 foot breaker bar. From there the spring comes right out.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I figured if I bought this thread back from the dead you would jump on this convo lol. Its been a couple years since I have been on the forums.

I ended up ordering the james duff lower coil buckets for an EB and the deaver 5" superflex 78-79 bronco springs that are 300ppi. I assumed removing a single coil would slight increase the ppi. Now for my rig I have the james duff upper coil buckets which does fit the bronco springs at the top. My goal (assuming this actually works) is to cut out one full coil and check the ride height to see if i can get something close. I am trying to stay around 4" lift. and these xj skyjacker springs broken down too fast over the last 2 years. They just keep sagging and sagging and sagging to the point I might be at a 2" lift. Once the parts arrive and I get these installed I will report back on how many coils I cut and roughly what my end result of lift I got from it. Hopefully the 300(or325ish)ppi holds up better than the 240ppi thats been on there the last 2 years.
Which lift Skyjacker XJ coils did you use? (3", 4.5", 6", etc.?)

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
I think I found the promised Land! These lift springs are only 1" smaller in diameter but are nearly perfect Bds 032601 for dodges

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
that wont fit like you think....the total diameter is 6 in plus iirc.

rear springs are closer and would work.

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
Any chance about the bds 033412 (id4.17, diameter.812) , F 350 ones I believe. I can make my own coil retainers/buckets easily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals