• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting a turbo on my 94' ranger

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This will be my build thread. This is the turbo ill be using.

And the first welded piece of the project (pipe to t3 flange)
i did that using a cheap 90 amp harbor freight flux core welder.
This is about where it will sit

Waiting on my oil feed line and fittings then i will start messing with the trucks exhaust

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mounting it backwards makes things simpler
this is the mounting bracket ive made
i will be adding supports between the two pieces and another bar going down into a pocket in the alternator bracket so it wont bend. The turbo is mounted high enough to drain into the valve cover and low enough to clear the hood.
And the wastegate will be directly under the turbo

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Wastegate is welded on, just waiting on my block to feedline fitting, it got backorder twice on summit so i finally called and switched to a different fitting which got shipped out today.
Picked up some 24# injectors the other day

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay so alot has changed since I started making parts for this build and it's been a really long time, but it is now a bed mounted turbo with it's own oiling system which makes me happy. I am also on going to run 3-4 psi because reading more about people turboing 3.0s has got me scared, and about 30 more hp will make me happy. I've already blown an engine once stock, but it was at 240,000 miles or so. Here is a video of me testing my oiling system and the turbo itself for the first time. It was not hooked to the intake yet, and will not be sitting that high when it's all said and done.
https://youtu.be/huIKkS72ZYE

Let me know what you guys think would be the safest psi to stick with. I'd like to have more opinions then what I said but I feel that's best for it. Btw my engine is from a 2002 i have the 25lb flex fuel injectors that came with it but I'm running the stock 19lb ones from my old engine

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Whipple supercharger kits that Ford Racing sold ran 8-10 psi with a Ford Racing warranty, so that tells me the 3.0 can handle at least that much with ease. The only 3.0 that I'm aware of blowing up from boost was running around 20psi, when it lost a rod bolt at 6000+rpm.

If your engine is healthy (compression test should tell you), and you've got large enough MAF and injectors, I'd have no concerns at all about 10psi. If you're running an intercooler, then I could see upping the boost even more. If you had ARP rod bolts and head studs, I'd think 20psi could be pretty doable.

Obviously, a quality tune is necessary for any amount of boost. The biggest issue you'll have if your truck is still OBD1, is finding a way to tune it properly.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Whipple supercharger kits that Ford Racing sold ran 8-10 psi with a Ford Racing warranty, so that tells me the 3.0 can handle at least that much with ease. The only 3.0 that I'm aware of blowing up from boost was running around 20psi, when it lost a rod bolt at 6000+rpm.

If your engine is healthy (compression test should tell you), and you've got large enough MAF and injectors, I'd have no concerns at all about 10psi. If you're running an intercooler, then I could see upping the boost even more. If you had ARP rod bolts and head studs, I'd think 20psi could be pretty doable.

Obviously, a quality tune is necessary for any amount of boost. The biggest issue you'll have if your truck is still OBD1, is finding a way to tune it properly.
When you say larger MAF, I have one off a 1994 5.0 mustang, would that be useable for this?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's really a question for whoever will be tuning it.

Just as a point of reference, the Whipple kits came with a MAF from 01-04 Ranger 4.0 SOHC.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals