• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So let's beat a dead horse (NA turbo)

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
So it's been asked over and over again and the general consensus is it's a waste of time or it's going to blow. There also seems to be a lot of mixed information about what the factory ranger MAF, injectors, and bottom end is capable of.

First off we know the cast pistons with over 9 to 1 compression is not great for a boost applications however it's not crazy high by any means. The cast pistons will not handle any sort of detonation very well so that is very much the limiting factor on the bottom end. It would seem to me a well tuned 2.3 or 2.5 could live a long time on a low boost set up.

So here is my questions:

Is the factory ECU capable of compensating for a 30 hp increase over the stock air flow? Some say none and some say up to 6 or 7 pounds of boost.

What is the real limit of the stock injectors? 3% over stock, 4 psi of boost, 140 wheel horsepower? Seems like a lot of mismatched information out there.

Clearly a 2.3 turbo bottom end and computer has a much greater horsepower potential and would be very durable. however 2.3 turbo manifolds are cheap and so are T3 turbos.

I had a crazy idea of trying a low boost slow spooling GM-3 on a factory turbo coupe manifold with a manual waste gate set at 4 psi. Definitely not for performance but more for when I need a little extra in the mountains or when loaded down. I of course would go to 92+ octane and upgrade the fuel pump along with it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What I have read on turbo forums, as far as when its time to upgrade injectors is when they are running above 95% duty cycle (basically switched on all the time) and its still running lean.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
That's a good rule of thumb. But here is a question. Doesn't all of the 89 and up 2.3/2.5 Lima motors come with the same injectors?

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
So let's follow up on a few things.

It looks like the MAF is not the limiting factor on the Ranger Lima engines. The 2.3 and 3.0 use the same MAF sensor so it's safe to say it's capable of supporting at least 150 base horse power.

The injectors are another story. The rangers use 14 or 15 psi injectors that are very limited and are close to 85% duty cycle just supporting the stock power level. Ford raised the fuel pressure from 40-45 psi to over 60 psi some time around 97-98 to support the slightly higher power level in the 2.5 Lima. This is how the two motors can use the same injectors. Simply put there is just not enough fuel in the factory injectors to support any significant boost level. Ford 19lb or 24lb injectors can be had for very cheap however it would require a professional tuner to dial them in.

I still feel like the stock NA bottom end can support low and mild boost levels however with cast pistons tuning is going to be key and if your tune and set up are not perfectly dialed in it will go boom.

I hope this helps others in there search.

Last edited:

jim cafarelli

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 2wd 5spd 4
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone just put a FMU on the return line to compensate for stock injectors,Iv used them in the past on 5.0 mustangs worked great

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
The bottom ends for the most part are the same besides the pistons. The cast pistons really are the weak point, the compression ratio of 9:1 really isn't a problem unless you run huge boost numbers and crappy fuel. The big thing is that there is pretty much no room for error, lets say you start to loose a fuel pump or a mass air flow and the thing starts spark knocking, good by pistons.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
That's exactly correct. Tuning with any cast pistons is key and unfortanitly we do not have the tunability like some later power plants to compensate. LS motors have the advantage of having two knock sensors and a excellent MAF system so they are easy to boost even with cast pistons. In addition the aluminum heads and advanced OBD-2 computers give the tuner a lot of control. Now in the last few years we have started to see some interesting stuff come out for the 84-95 fords however I feel like they are still playing catch up.

As far as the FMU goes. I don't think the factory fuel system has a lot of room in it. I have seen a few articles online saying the pre 97 ranger Lima fuel system limited to 45 psi max. Plus the 14 psi injectors are already close to maxed with stock power levels. The FMU could boost the fuel rail pressure but if the max is 45 psi your only gaining 5 psi at the rail. That translates to under 1 psi at the injector. Even if you ran a 15lb injector and could increase rail pressure to 68 psi using the 7psi of fuel pressure for 1lb of boost formula you would still be limited to about 125 wheel horse power at over 100% duty cycle. I feel like 19lb yellow tops would be a lot for the stock ranger ECU to handle with out major tuning.

Now if you can tackle the fuel issue and run larger injectors, get a darn good tuner to dial it in and really know what your doing i see no reason why a NA Lima can not support around 150 wheel horse power. However it's going to be very limited and there is no room for error. If something goes wrong it's going to take the motor out in a bad way and possibly the turbo along with it.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
If your looking to go turbo and are OBD1 the best bet is get forged pistons installed and get all the sensors for a Turbo coupe. Also there is no real" Limit" on the fuel system. All the pre 97 2.3's used the same fuel pressure regulator as the 2.3T in the T-Birds. That being said they are a rising rate. So for every pound of boost the FPR see's it adds a pound of fuel pressure. In my 93 I run a factory style replacement pump and at 15 pounds of boost the fuel systems keeps up without an issue. Keep in mind that is running all the T-Bird sensors, injectors,ECU and what not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals