• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 svo turbo swap? 96 ranger?

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been collecting parts for my 302 swap on my 96 ranger have almost everything for the swap a few things left like headers, motor mounts, little things like that. Then I stumble across a rebuilt svo mustang 2.3T with everything including a Stage 2 clutch, T5 trans, harness, everything to make it run. What do you guys think not afraid of wiring but what's it going to take to install in my 2wd 96 ranger.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Wiring a 2.3T into a ranger is not hard. if your going to do a 302 swap try to stay away from the cheap carb on explorer engine set up. It will suck fuel and not go any where fast.

Personally the 2.3T offers good power and torque with out killing fuel economy.

A lot depends on your end goal. A bolted and tuned SVO can give a mild 302 a run for its money however both can become expensive once you start getting close to that 300hp mark. For the 302 that means cylinder heads, cam, higher compression, and of course intake and exhaust work, for the 2.3T it means a bigger turbo, better intercooler, and supporting mods.

On a budget I would say unless you have a healthy fuel injected 302 sitting on the shelf then go the 2.3T route. They are cheap to upgrade and you can make 200 the wheels with the correct ECU and a good exhaust system. That's a good starting point considering a healthy FI 302 in a stock fox would be around the same. Now turn up the boost a little with a larger front mount and some good tuning and your in the 250 range at the wheels and still getting mid 20s for MPG.

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what I ended up getting. It might be a merkur engine turbo is missing. Can anyone help id this engine?

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some reason I can't add pictures with my phone.

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wiring a 2.3T into a ranger is not hard. if your going to do a 302 swap try to stay away from the cheap carb on explorer engine set up. It will suck fuel and not go any where fast.

I already have an explorer with a 302 that runs good.

Personally the 2.3T offers good power and torque with out killing fuel economy.

A lot depends on your end goal. A bolted and tuned SVO can give a mild 302 a run for its money however both can become expensive once you start getting close to that 300hp mark. For the 302 that means cylinder heads, cam, higher compression, and of course intake and exhaust work, for the 2.3T it means a bigger turbo, better intercooler, and supporting mods.

I have a set of aluminum head, a lunati 51014 cam flow master exhaust for the 302.

On a budget I would say unless you have a healthy fuel injected 302 sitting on the shelf then go the 2.3T route. They are cheap to upgrade and you can make 200 the wheels with the correct ECU and a good exhaust system. That's a good starting point considering a healthy FI 302 in a stock fox would be around the same. Now turn up the boost a little with a larger front mount and some good tuning and your in the 250 range at the wheels and still getting mid 20s for MPG.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Looks good. Keep us up to date.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just so you know, wiring and ECM are very different on a '96 so it is not near as easy of a swap as on a '94 or older...

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just so you know, wiring and ECM are very different on a '96 so it is not near as easy of a swap as on a '94 or older...
Thanks for the heads up. I was aware of that though that's why I made this thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals