• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 build but need some input

90bbb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking for some input on a top end redo on 90 bII 2.9 to improve reliability. I'm try to find where I can get the roller- tip rocker shaft setup that Sven Pruett used to offer through his company and talks about in his book. Also is it really worth port and polish the intake and heads.The heads I bought are new casting and are suppost to be thick cast than stock. If so how much should I pay for this. Are the Jetchips and superchips worth the money? Last be not least, I want to convert it to MAF. Where to find parts and info would be great. Thanks Dan. 19 lbs injectors? Do i need to do anything special or just bolt in? Make a difference?

Last edited:

CrowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Port and polish heads and intake manifold as a start - yes its really worth it, i did it myself, just go get a die grinder and some carbide bits for it and go nuts, gasket match them.
you dont need to make the roller rocker shafts that way if you got big bucks.
you can get them and many other things here http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=38

for the MAF,
youll need parts from http://www.mass-air.com/Products.htm
as well as you can get a MAF computer of ebay or rockauto or a cali ranger/bronco.

no jetchips are just wasted money.

all the info and part numbers are in the 2.9l tech area for the maf swap, and if you search hard enough you can find the sven roller rocker dimensions for the machine shop to make em, i got them somewhere. but.. yeah.. somewhere could be anywhere

90bbb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. Also do I have to do anything special when adding 19 lbs injectors? How much of difference does it make?:icon_thumby: Just trying to modernize it alittle bit and more power. I know it just a 2.9.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
19lb injectors wont give you any more power and you wont notice any difference, unless you've done some work to the motor and fuel system. You'll want to introduce more air into the mix so head and intake manifold work(port, polish). Larger throttle body ect. and there going to need more fuel so a High flow Fuel pump will be needed.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Do keep in mind that you have a 1990, so a 4.0 is practically a plug and play swap. Out of the box it's more reliable than a 2.9 and has a 30% jump in torque and >10% in horsepower. From there you have more options to build power, and it was available almost a decade more recently so parts will be available longer.

90bbb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again. As we speak the heads and intake are at friends machine shop. Being port and polished. He can bench flow them so everything is equal between cylinders. He also making up spacer for the rocker shafts. I have a set of jba headers for the exhaust side. I just picked up a throttle body but not sure if it the bigger one. It measures 2.25" across. Is that bigger one? I paid 10 buck so no lose if it not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals