• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken Front Parking Brake Cable

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found a how to onanther site the other day. It had pictures. I forgot to bookmark it. there is a way of pulling down on it and holding it open and then the cable can slide out. I was thinking of doing mind before it breaks. if i do i will try and take pics and post them.....

another thread said you can loosen "the jam nut" but he did not have pics and i was not sure what he was talking about....they might be a little different from year to year.....

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I decided to swap my Front cable. This was definitely not one of fords better ideas!!!. That being said I did figure it out. I ended up taking of the ebrake mechanism from the wall. You do not have to take this off even if the cable broke as long as the cable broke in a place that left you some room to pull on it. as the manual says you need someone to pull on the cable( this could take some effort) and then slide something into the lockpin hole. I could not find something to tell me where the lockpin hole was. I did take a picture that i will try to post. one thing you need to do is make sure the ebrake is released all the way. if it is not you will be able to pull on the cable. remember you are pulling on the cable in the opposite direction of how it goes when put on the brake. What happens is when you pull on it it exposing the end of the cable into the small square opening that is on the mechanism then you can slide the cable out. hopefully the picture will help. I ended up cutting my cable without locking it. after many different attemps i ended up pushing down into a v type gruve on the gear then i slide a screw driver into the lockpin hole. later on i will try and post more pics..I am having a problem figure out to post the pic i will post it as soon as i can

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
some pics

in the center of the pic you can see the end of the cable. I just slid the cable out of its pocket

I pushed down on the screwdriver with the black and red handle and then I was able to insert the other screwdriver into the lockpin hole

look in the center and you can see the end of the cable it will slide right up now

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am struggling to figure out how to post the pics properly. you cant enlarge either them. I think i could email you ones from picasa and then they will enlarge. let me know if anyone needs one.

* forget this post i solved the pictures issue

Last edited:

IndianScout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
I'm also having trouble with my parking brake cable, since the 2" lift it's too short to hook up to the rear cable..

any idea's??

jimmy327

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L I4
Transmission
Manual
I'm also having trouble with my parking brake cable, since the 2" lift it's too short to hook up to the rear cable..

any idea's??
it might be possible to find a longer cable, but you wouldn't need much. The easiest one to replace would be the "front" or intermediate cable. it's the straight one under the cab.

It may be possible to manufacture one using some cable and some cable clamps? So long as you get it tight enough, that would work.

jimmy327

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L I4
Transmission
Manual
fixed

I have it finally fixed. I'll get some pics and some "best practices" up later today.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

any idea's??
as was suggested a wire clamp might work, make sure you put the strong lock tight on it. You also could try to fab a turnbuckle from homedepot. Maybe even have a shop weld a turnbuckle incorporating the cable holder that is on the cable now. I also looked at mine closely and it looks like you might be able to invert the bracket that is on the rear. This would give you about 2.5 inches. or maybe some knid of pipe right at the bracket that would extend the cable further toward the front of the truck

IndianScout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys I'll do that..

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I finished putting it back together yesterday. it does work much better. There was lot of play in that front cable. This job was a total PITA. I would rather have replaced the upper control arms, rotors, wheel bearings and brake pads :) if I ever had to do it again I probably could do it in about an hour. the mechanism is held on by 3 bolts. The top bolt on my truck was a total pita to get to. I had to use a swivel etc. maybe if i had a special wrench or something it would have been easier. I decided not to put the top bolt back in just the other 2, seems to work perfectly fine. some manuals say you need to remove the wheel well cover to access a bolt holding the cable. I did not have to do that. just unhooked underneath and then you yank on it and pull it into the cab.. if you take the mechanism off the truck put the new cable on the mechanism and then slide the cable into the hole on the floor and hook it up underneath.

TC260

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for posting that modelageek. I stuck my head in there and as best I can tell the "window" on mine is in a different position than yours. With the pedal in the released position, the window is still a couple inches away from the cable end. Looks like there may have been a design change along the way.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
TC260 the ebrake must be fully released. Then from under the truck have someone pull on the cable toward the rear of the truck. The cable end should show up in the window

Houstonlh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I know it has been nearly 7 years since the last post in this thread but im about to attempt to do this as well. I was just wondering if anyone had pictures of them doing this still lying around? The other pictures is this post have expired. Thanks!

bluemeate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
how do i remove the rubberstopper with the cable in it?
I was able to remove the 3 bolts and the mechanism is sitting there dangling but wont come off becuase it is stuck at the rubber stopper in which the cable sits. iirc someone mentioned hacking it to pieces but i cant find that written anywhere since

Doberman1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
No matter where you go, there you are.
how do i remove the rubberstopper with the cable in it?
I was able to remove the 3 bolts and the mechanism is sitting there dangling but wont come off becuase it is stuck at the rubber stopper in which the cable sits. iirc someone mentioned hacking it to pieces but i cant find that written anywhere since
All I did was wiggle and pull hard on the “rubber stopper” portion from inside the cab and the cable pulled out. But remember you have to remove the cable from its holder under the front of the truck.:icon_thumby:

I hope this helps someone...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals