• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inner tie rod end removal? without the special tool?

Stangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I always thought there was a type of "Special" inner tie rod end removal tool out there that magically removed it for you and you could only get it from a tool truck (snap on, mac)

But I was googling around, and found a youtube video of a guy changing an inner, and it was nothing more than what appeared to be a home-made crows foot.

That being said, wouldnt a large adjustable wrench be suitable for this??

I had a small 4 wheeling mishap, and the only available place to be hooked to, to get pulled out (because BFG all terrains SUCK in mud!) was my sway bar on the passenger side. so needless to say, we broke the sway bar mount, lost the bushing, and the sway bar came in contact with my inner tie rod end and bent it. So a trip to the pull n pay tomorrow should reward me with the sway bar bracket, and maybe the bushing if my bushing is officially MIA out in the field. Then I was going to order an inner tie rod and sway bar link from Rock Auto.

So, if anyone has any insight on that tool or a suitable work around, I'd appreciate it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I always thought there was a type of "Special" inner tie rod end removal tool out there that magically removed it for you and you could only get it from a tool truck (snap on, mac)

there is, it's called a pickle fork

But I was googling around, and found a youtube video of a guy changing an inner, and it was nothing more than what appeared to be a home-made crows foot.
you mean a pickle fork?

That being said, wouldnt a large adjustable wrench be suitable for this??
i'd say no

I had a small 4 wheeling mishap, and the only available place to be hooked to, to get pulled out (because BFG all terrains SUCK in mud!)
no, they suck everywhere

wait, you hooked a chain to a tie rod and had someone pull you out? you cant see me, but i'm facepalming myself right now......with both hands

So, if anyone has any insight on that tool or a suitable work around, I'd appreciate it.
get some sockets and a BFH. always start with a BFH, replace parts/tools as needed. good luck

Stangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
get some sockets and a BFH. always start with a BFH, replace parts/tools as needed. good luck
Please re-read my post. I was not pulled by my tie rod end. I was pulled by the sway bar. Only spot we could get too. I do not trust the chinsy tow hooks on the front. Seen too many FX4 tows go wrong w/ those.

Also, how would a pickle fork get the INNER tie rod off?

Reading>you j/k

And yes, I do agree, that do suck EVERYWHERE.

I want MT's.

Thank you, that might be a good investment for me, as I do a lot of work on cars. Never thought to try Harbor Freight.

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Please re-read my post. I was not pulled by my tie rod end. I was pulled by the sway bar. Only spot we could get too. I do not trust the chinsy tow hooks on the front. Seen too many FX4 tows go wrong w/ those. There is nothing else proper to hook to, so just get over the fact that you consider them cheesy, they are tow points and you would not be in the position you are in now had you used them in the first place.

Reading>you j/k

I want MT's.

Thank you, that might be a good investment for me, as I do a lot of work on cars. Never thought to try Harbor Freight.
That being said, you want a pickle fork or tie-rod separator. Its a two prong dealio with tapered prongs and is hammered in between the knuckle and the tie rod. I've used the one from Harbor Freight from the above link, it works good and for the price cannot be beat. $10.

This is what you want I believe: http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-tie-rod-separator-1759.html. Though your truck is a little newer than mine and I am not well versed with rack and pinion steering setups so double check with a few others before making a purchase. I know for sure that the tool I listed will work on the outer tie rod ends, at the knuckles.

I've alos tried hacking up a large wrench to make my own tool, but it takes too much work considering buying the correct tool is so cheap.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Please re-read my post. I was not pulled by my tie rod end. I was pulled by the sway bar. Only spot we could get too. I do not trust the chinsy tow hooks on the front. Seen too many FX4 tows go wrong w/ those.

Reading>you j/k

I want MT's.

lol, my bad man. i'm not gonna lie, i was drinking and TRSing last night, i was hammered when i wrote that. just disregard what i said.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That being said, you want a pickle fork or tie-rod separator. Its a two prong dealio with tapered prongs and is hammered in between the knuckle and the tie rod. I've used the one from Harbor Freight from the above link, it works good and for the price cannot be beat. $10.

This is what you want I believe: http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-tie-rod-separator-1759.html. Though your truck is a little newer than mine and I am not well versed with rack and pinion steering setups so double check with a few others before making a purchase. I know for sure that the tool I listed will work on the outer tie rod ends, at the knuckles.

I've alos tried hacking up a large wrench to make my own tool, but it takes too much work considering buying the correct tool is so cheap.:icon_thumby:
The pickle fork will pop the outer tie rod out of the knuckle but he needs to remove the inner which takes a tool like this:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
^^^^ Bingo. That's what you want for a 98+ truck with a steering rack.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
wait, inner (on the rack) or outer (connected to the knuckle)?

edit: if it's the one on the rack, i've used a monkey wrench, or a big crescent wrench. just depends on whats around. a buddy snapped one on his truck doing something similar, so we field fixed it with the tools i already mentioned. i don't see why a special tool is needed, as long as whatever you have can grab onto the base that screws into the rack.

if it's the one on the knuckle, take out the cotter pin and loosen the castle nut. if you cant pull it out on your own, get it so that the top of the nut is even with the end of the joint, protecting the threads. then use a hammer to tap on the castle nut until the joint pops loose.

no special tools needed!

Last edited:

Stangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

I dont know why almost everyone who reads this thinks of the outter tie rod end, lol

Oh, and since I'm payin on the truck still, I'd prefer to have mechanical damage rather than physical damage... mechanical is easier to fix! (although I do paint, I'd prefer not to!)

lol, my bad man. i'm not gonna lie, i was drinking and TRSing last night, i was hammered when i wrote that. just disregard what i said.
It's all good man, I suppose it's what I get for posting at 1am

The pickle fork will pop the outer tie rod out of the knuckle but he needs to remove the inner which takes a tool like this:

THANK YOU! LOL

You must have done well in english class! :icon_cheers:

To all the others,

THIS TOOL DOES NOT WORK!!! It wouldnt fit over the knuckle section of the inner tie rod!!! What a joke! The area where it actually fits over the knuckle is NOT deep enough to fit in over the tie rod end. There was a good half inch before it would go on.

But yes, I luckily had an adjustable wrench, and a 5lb sledge and got the job done!

Now to get it to an alignment shop and get my wheel straight or see if there is any further damage

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Doux, you bang on the castle nut itself? I just hit the main metal whatever it's called that the whole assembly mounts to. Obviously it wouldn't matter if you damaged nut since all tie rod otters come with new castle nuts. I was so mad when my outer didn't come with a grease fitting. I got a multiple pack of like 7 grease fittings for 5 bucks and none fit correctly so I hammered one in. Screw it, it worked.

On the topic of inner tie rod end removal tools, I've seen some with ends that fit the crows feet, and some that are rounded off. Are all tools same size, you just need specific crows foot to attach to it correct? Bout to drop 78 bucks at sears on a good one with multiple crows feet so I just wanted to make sure before I have to play return for right one. I'm pretty sure they are all same size but looking online is hard to tell. They have numbers like 45750 and a 47500 ect.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know why almost everyone who reads this thinks of the outter tie rod end, lol

Oh, and since I'm payin on the truck still, I'd prefer to have mechanical damage rather than physical damage... mechanical is easier to fix! (although I do paint, I'd prefer not to!)

It's all good man, I suppose it's what I get for posting at 1am

THANK YOU! LOL

You must have done well in english class! :icon_cheers:

To all the others,

THIS TOOL DOES NOT WORK!!! It wouldnt fit over the knuckle section of the inner tie rod!!! What a joke! The area where it actually fits over the knuckle is NOT deep enough to fit in over the tie rod end. There was a good half inch before it would go on.

But yes, I luckily had an adjustable wrench, and a 5lb sledge and got the job done!

Now to get it to an alignment shop and get my wheel straight or see if there is any further damage
Wait so you are saying your Inner Tie Rod Removal Tool wasn't long enough? If that's what you meant then maybe you got wrong one? I've noticed alot of different one, that's why I posted my above question.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
NAPA is the shiznit!!! Guy called a shop and told them I was his nephew so I could borrow the inner tie rod removal tool with correct size crows feet! I love it when people show trust in me and don't even know me. I will not let him down! Lol. Saved me 78 bucks so there is no way I'm not gonna bring this back in 2 hours when I'm done. I'd be done within 30 mins but I gotta let my wife have smoke breaks, watch my son, and work in the effin rain!!!

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Done! God I hate rain... Much less movement then before in my steering. I wonder if I should do the drivers side too sometime or just wait till it fails too...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals