• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L turbo bad passenger side of engine oil leak

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The cages aren't a big deal. None of my 2.3t's have them installed. I actually just finished putting together a ported early dual plug head for my black truck yesterday haha. New used stainless valves lapped in, the good felpro valve stem seals, Comp Cam 990(?) springs & matching retainers, and new clevite cam bearings. Hoping to have this turbo engine assembled by the weekend and in the truck next week. Keep meaning to start a build thread on here but never get around to it since I have one over at turborangerforums.com haha.

1st pic is of my "race truck" head, 2nd pic is cam bearing installation on the head for the black truck.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got it ready to go in tomorrow hopefully... I'll need to head to a parts store and get an intake gasket as I forgot about that... other than that I gotta surface the exhaust manifold the best I can while it's still on the truck... I have everything else to get the job done, so best case it'll be running tomorrow, worst case it'll be running on Monday...

The only small odd jobs I gotta get done on the truck is to pull the cold side of the turbo to put a breather input in it, and pull the coolant reservoir to tap it for 1/8" pipe since somehow I broke the nipple off...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Finally about done! Could not find an intake gasket in town on Saturday (not from a lack of trying, tried Car Quest, Autozone, Napa and Orielly's), had to order one in for Monday... and on the way back home Saturday in the woman's Rav 4 the timing belt broke... Luckily it's a non interference engine but had to get that working Monday before working on the Ranger. I did get the head dropped on the block and torqued down on Saturday though. On Monday I got the exhaust manifold bolted on and all but one of the intake manifold bolts in, finally got that in today and got as far as putting the timing belt on along with the serpentine belt and accessories as well as the upper intake manifold then fixed the overflow bottle so it'll hold coolant, and put in the coolant I drained so it's still somewhat low

Now I'm maybe an hour or two from getting it running! Gotta pull the cold side of the turbo off to drill/tap it for the breather but that shouldn't be too bad, and top off the coolant, and install the passenger side coil pack and wires then she's ready to run!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On that note, as of about 8pm yesterday it runs! and idles way better than it has in a while... The only thing left on my list is to change the oxygen sensor, I have one but it can wait a bit... still need to top off the coolant but it's nearly full...

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Very nice!!

The other day I got to pulling the drive train out of my black truck to get it ready for the swap.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's quite the intake manifold, looks like a nice setup.

Unfortunately redoing the cylinder head on mine wasn't the oil leak problem, I've gotta look more into what's going on now but if it's still on that side of the engine it has to be something with the turbo... Don't get me wrong, it runs like a top now, starts right up and purrs like a kitten, but after about 120 miles today I got the ol low oil light on the dash... given the first time I even let it get to operating temperature I decided to take a trailer with a 3 wheeler and a 4 wheeler up into the mountains so it wasn't really a nice maiden voyage but still...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals