• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Cable woes on 93 with obsolete part number

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 XLT 3.0 Manual trans Ranger with a bad throttle cable. The plastic parts where the cable connects to the throttle body have broken down and crumbled away. The ford part is F37Z9A758K, which was discontinued over a decade ago.

92 and 93 non CA rangers use the same cable. I see none of these in salvage yards and would be surprised of I found one of these that would even be in decent shape. Mine has given me troubles for many years.

Right now I can drive up to 35 as the bare cable just tugs a little.

Anyway, have any of you had to deal with this situation and know of a similar model of cable that could be modified to work, or know of a universal kit close enough to be used for this?

Thanks

PS: I was thinking of removing some of the cable slack temporarily until I can resolve this just to drive to work a few days.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

Where are you located?

You can modify your user information if you want to ad location to your profile...just click on the User CP at the top left of this page and fill in the blanks..

I found an old cable and I was just about to toss it...it came from a 92 Mustang 2.3 but I modified it to fit my 88 Ranger 2.0...

I just mention that because they are typically very similarly made and can be adapted either directly or with a slight modification...just moving the attachment point to the throttle body or how it connects to the engine to stabilize it.

I've never had a problem with this one but I learned to keep a spare in the truck at all times even if it doesn't fit the way it should...better than trying to drive with no gas pedal.

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS~!

Where are you located?

You can modify your user information if you want to ad location to your profile...just click on the User CP at the top left of this page and fill in the blanks..

I found an old cable and I was just about to toss it...it came from a 92 Mustang 2.3 but I modified it to fit my 88 Ranger 2.0...

I just mention that because they are typically very similarly made and can be adapted either directly or with a slight modification...just moving the attachment point to the throttle body or how it connects to the engine to stabilize it.

I've never had a problem with this one but I learned to keep a spare in the truck at all times even if it doesn't fit the way it should...better than trying to drive with no gas pedal.
I am in Houston TX.

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Any cable from 91-97 3.0 Ranger will work. Tighten the slack after installed use some of the plastic wire ties at the gas pedal end. There is some information about in the tech library. It's called the throttle cable mod. When it's done it will feel like a new truck.
It finally stopped raining. After the plastic sleeve crumbled, I had about 1/2 play in the cable. Two 1/4 tie raps tighted it up enough to achieve full throttle again.

I noticed a lot of other year models of rangers use a different scheme connecting to the throttle. Mine has a quick connect/disconnect on the end that clips on a little tit sticking off. Many of the others just have a barrel on the end and the cable flows around a cam on the throttle.

In any event, I am now good until the cable completly breaks.

Thanks for the reply to you and my new canadian buddy.

rvborgh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
i am facing this same issue myself in my 1994 Mazda B3000. Throttle cable was discontinued and i cannot find anything in the aftermarket that is a direct replacement.

i think i might have found something that will work however... will see after i get a chance to try it.

perhaps your 93 has the same sort of attachment. Its a ball mounted on the throttle body lever arm and the end of the throttle cable plugs over this ball with a c-clip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals