• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Power To Fuel Pump 1990 2.9 Ranger

Rarebird42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1990 Ranger 2.9 with no power to the fuel pump. A guy recently installed a new fuel pump and I got the truck from him with a bypass wire running from the fuel pump to a hot wire under the dash. I want to start with the fuel pump relay switch, which I think is located under the fuse box on the passenger side wheel weld. I just pulled off the fuse box, but could not get the cover off the relays, if they are under there. It started raining like hell so I will go out tomorrow and try again. Is there any trick to removing the cover off the relays, or am I in the wrong place. I have to work at night when I get home and the truck is too far away from the house to get a light out there. I am using a flash light in one hand and..well, you get the picture. I want to ask to make sure I'm going in the right direction since I am working alone and only have two hands. Don't wanna waste time on the wrong path. Thanx for anybody's help.
PS - I hooked my foot in the stupid hot wire he had running from the fuel pump to something under the dash and yanked it out. I don't know where he had it. I found one wire that is hot without the switch, which makes the pump run constantly so I don't use it. I am not an electrically talented person, so I am taking this slow and trying to do the right thing.

Rarebird42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Today is Tuesday 12-17-2014. No rain tonight. Was able to get to the fuel pump relay OK. Changed it, but didn't work. On to next step figuring out if/where there is a broken wire. Thanx.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

That diagram should give you a good idea how the fuel pump relay works.
Check the Inertia Switch. If you don't know how to check it, just remove its connector and jumper the two pins together on the plug.

It sounds like the PO had the Test Receptacle pin grounded to make the fuel pump run.
The wire probably pulled out of the connector shown in this link http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There should be 3 relays under there
Fuel pump relay has Green base
EEC relay Brown base
WOT relay Black base(wide open throttle relay, only used when......throttle is wide open)
all 3 relays are the same part number and are interchangeable, i.e. swap WOT to either to test.

EEC relay should click closed when key is turned on, this powers EEC(computer), fuel injectors, ignition/coil, and fuel pump relay.

Fuel pump relay should click closed at the same time, then click Open 2 seconds later, computer primes fuel system each time key is turned on, but only for 2 seconds.
Fuel pump won't start again until engine RPMs are above 500 or key is turned off then on again.

In the fuse box above the relays is the FP(fuel pump) fuse, 30amp, this is the power the fuel pump relay passes when it closes.

This power runs from relay to inertia switch located in passenger footwell in the cab, just behind the top of the carpet or behind kick panel on the side toward the top.
Inertia switch is there to cut power to fuel pump in case of an accident or roll over, it has a reset button on the top, these can fail, there are just two connectors, 12volt IN and 12volts OUT, so easy to test.

Power for fuel pump follows this path:
Battery+ -----FP Fuse-------FP relay----------inertia switch------------Fuel pump

Diagram here of automotive relays, 5 and 4 pin: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Automotive-Relays.htm

Slots 85 and 86 are the Coil connections, when power passes thru the coil it becomes a magnet and pulls the relay closed
Slot 30 is the power from the FP Fuse
Slot 87 is the wire to the inertia switch

When relay is closed power passes from slot 30 to 87

With key off test slots in relay base, only 1 should have 12volts, slot 30
With key on test slots 85 and 86 only 1 should have power, this is from EEC relay, the other slot is wired to the computer, this is the ON/OFF wire for the relay.
12volts is only 12volts if you have 0volts(ground), computer controls the ground for the relay.
Say slot 85 has 12v with key on
Connect test light/meter to battery+ and the other wire to slot 86, turn key off then on, light or meter should show 12v for 2 seconds, then go off, this means computer is operating relay correctly.

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A quick way to test the fuel pump is to dis connect the plug from the relay, locate wires #3 & #4 put a jumper across 3 & 4. If the pump is working you should have pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Freedom5

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals